Chapter 1 - Conversation and Exploration

Scar's POV

I sit on top of a rock, scanning the water below me for any kind of fish that swim by. I've been doing this for about half an hour with absolutely no luck, but I'm determined to prove to BDubs that it works.

Eventually, just when I'm about to give up, I spot the familiar beige sales of a cod. Sure, cod isn't the best fish, but it's a fish nonetheless and I'm going to catch it. So, in probably the least practical or graceful way possible, I jump into the water and grab it in my hands.

I struggle to keep a hold of it, but manage to bite down on it and stop it from escaping. I let out a 'YES!' of triumph, before realizing I'm not alone.

Xisuma stares at me in pure and utter confusion.

"Scar... what are you doing?"

"Well... I wanted to try a new way of catching fish." I admit. "They can't see me up there, so I thought it would work better."

As if on cue, BDubs swims up to me, holding at least half a dozen fish in his arms. He sees my pathetic little cod, and bursts out laughing.

"I knew my way worked better!" He teases, crossing his arms with a smug look on his face. I stick my tongue out at him, before X interrupts.

"Come on, you've been out here too long." He tells us. "The others are hungry, and there's barely enough food for everyone."

Then he sighs, placing a hand on my shoulder.

"I get that you like to do new things... but maybe just stick with what works?"

"That's what you said about using stuff from shipwrecks, but it actually-"

"Scar." My friend interrupts. "Please, just stick to doing things the way we always do them. If they work, they're good enough, and we don't need to test out anything new."

Before I can say 'but' again, he swims away, and I have no choice but to follow him. I stare at the little fish in my hand. Maybe he's right, I probably should stop trying to do new things when we have a system that works.

"See anything Wels?" Xisuma asks as he passes by another of our friends, who's keeping an eye out for ships, sharks, or anything else dangerous.

"Nope! All clear!" Wels confirms, before turning around and following us. He glances at the cod I'm holding, and smiles sympathetically.

"Bad luck?"

"Nope, just a new method of catching fish that didn't work." I admit, going a little red as I see him sigh. He still smiles though, playfully ruffling my hair.

"Never change Scar."

I glance back over at Xisuma, and I can just tell by looking that he's doing a headcount to make sure everyone is here. He frowns after a moment, and turns to me.

"Do you know where Ezra went?"

I shrug. If he doesn't know where his own brother is, I don't really know why I would either.

"I think he went up to the beach." Joe remarks, taking some of the fish from BDubs and trying to split it 9 ways. "Said something about needing personal space."

"Can you go get him?" X asks me. "He actually listens to you... just tell him we have food."

I nod, giving my sad contribution to the dinner to Joe before swimming back up and over to the large island that's above our home. Sure enough, Ezra's sitting there, legs crossed beneath him with something in his hands. He has a pile of dried seaweed pieces beside him, and looks to be making some kind of net with them.