Chapter 22 - Happy Together

"Scar, they literally kidnapped you!" Grian pointed out.

"Well... I was talking to them." The merman started, Xisuma sighing a little as if he knew what was coming. "And they didn't have any other choice."

The others all stared at him like he'd hit his head too hard, but one of the other crew members spoke up.

"Technically... he's telling the truth." Scott admitted. "Joel didn't exactly mean to drag us into this mess..."

"Wh-me?!" Joel repeated. "Last I remember, it was FWhip who wanted to loot their ships!"

"Gem kinda talked me into it so she could adopt their parrots." FWhip replied, glaring a little at his sister. She simply shrugged.

"I will neither confirm nor deny that statement."

"Look, I don't care which one of you did it." Scar sighed. "But I want to believe you guys when you say that you didn't want to do it."

"Uh... Scar? I don't think this is the best time to trust people..." Grian admitted.

"I trusted you, and look how well that turned out." He pointed out, before turning back to Joel. "You said you'd die if you returned home without me, but you'd starve if you didn't, right?"

"More or less, yeah." The captain shrugged.

"Well... I think that you should deserve a second chance." Scar admitted, before turning to Gri again. "Maybe your friends can help them!"

Impulse was about to try and protest, but Doc cut him off.

"I think he's got a point." The captain shrugged, before turning to his crew. "You guys remember all the crazy stuff we had to do when we were in debt, right?"

"Well, it's not 'debt'... more like avoiding execution." Pearl pointed out.

"Execution?" Cleo repeated, looking impressed. "For what crime?"

"Piracy." Jimmy replied, rolling his eyes. "All we did was steal some stuff, they're being overdramatic."

"Jimmy, we burn a ship down." Lizzie reminded him.

"It was only a small one!"

"Look, what you did and didn't do doesn't matter, ok?" Scar interjected, shaking his head a little. "All I'm saying is that I want to try and help you... so that you don't need to endanger anyone else to keep yourselves safe."

Xisuma glanced at Doc, who simply shrugged.

"He's right, they gave up pretty quickly before things could turn to violence-"

"Cowards." Ezra mumbled under his breath.

"-So if they had any kind of bad intentions, they would have done something by now." The captain finished, before turning back to Joel.

"We'll think about it." He declared. "We'll untie you in a few minutes, but try anything and we won't hold back this time."

And with that statement, Doc confidently led the two groups over where they couldn't be heard. Then he sighed, burying his face in his hands.

"I have no idea what I'm doing."

"We could always kill them." Hels deadpanned, Scar only noticing him for the first time and being surprised by his resemblance to Wels.

"I like your style." Ezra replied with a grin.

"Well I don't." Xisuma interrupted, glaring at his twin. "I want to resolve this in the most peaceful way we can, I'm just not sure if I want to trust them just yet."