Chapter 2 - A Lot of Panicking

TW: Descriptions of drowning (nothing too bad or graphic though)

Scar's POV

Everyone's just finished eating when Zedaph leans to the side a little.

"What's that?"

"What's what?" I ask, turning around. There's something in the distance coming toward us, something on top of the water...

"Ship!" Xisuma exclaims, just as I make the connection myself. He's already dragging me inside before I have the time to react, pushing everyone inside of his house and ducking in the doorway.

I can feel everyone holding their breath as we wait for it to pass overhead. It drifts closer to the island, before slowing down. I see something drop from the boat, presumably something to keep it from floating away. Which means...

"They stopped." Wels says softly, more with fear than curiosity. Nobody speaks for a minute, hoping that maybe he's wrong and the ship will continue on its way.

A minute passes.

Then 5.

Then 10.

And it doesn't budge.

"Will I go and see what they're doing?" Ezra offers, Xisuma nodding. My eyes light up, and I go to follow him.

"I'm comi-"

"No you are not!" X interrupts, grabbing my wrist and pulling me back over. I frown, watching as his twin swims away. "Stay here, and stay safe. They're probably stopping for ship repairs, they'll be gone by tomorrow."

Then he turns around to the rest of the group.

"I'll need you guys to lay low until they do." He instructs. "So stay in the village if possible, try not to wander too far, and stay away from the surface."

He looks directly at me as he says the last part. Which is fair, I'm the most likely to break that rule and go investigate the boat.

Ezra comes back, looking concerned.

"They have wood planks and stuff... I think they're setting up a base."

"It's for ship repairs." Xisuma insists. "I'm sure of it. There's no need to be worried, they'll be gone soon and then we'll be ok again."

The albino only shrugs a little, and X lets us go back to our own houses. I follow BDubs into our shared one, and I can't help but notice that he seems worried.

"You ok Bubbles?"

The nickname, which I've called him since we were 5, makes him smile. He nods his head, before lying back on his bed and sighing.

"I'm sick of having to be scared all the time. Why can't people just leave us be?"

"We haven't had any problems with humans before." I point out.

"I know... but it's not just humans. We can't go near any other merfolk, they'd kill us for being 'filthy hybrids'. We just can't fit in anywhere, can we?"

"I mean, we have each other, don't we?" I remind him. "Who cares about all the other humans and merfolk?"

"I know, I'm not saying you guys aren't good enough." BDubs sighs. "I guess I just wish we'd be accepted someplace else... anywhere, I guess."

"I get that." I admit, before letting out a long sigh.

"The humans hate us because we're merfolk and the merfolk hate us because we're humans. How ironic."