Chapter 11

Tzuyu's POV

"Papa! Why are you home so late? I missed you!" I exclaimed as I ran towards the tall figure who was taking off his shoes at the doorway.

He immediately dropped his briefcase on the floor before scooping me up in his arms and twirling me around with a big smile on his face. Anyone could see how truly happy he was, his mouth had formed such a wide grin that his straight, pearly white teeth were showing while his eyes crinkled into a smile.

While I, on the other hand, was grinning so broadly that the dimple on my left cheek and the gap between my teeth that used to hold my fallen baby tooth were visible. My eyes also crinkled into a smile while I wrapped my arms around his neck, hugging him as tightly as I could. I guess that was where I had gotten my smile from.

"Honey! Dinner is ready!" Mom called from the kitchen while he carried me to the dining room where most of the food was set on the table. He proceeded to sit me on 2 chairs stacked together so I could eat in the dining room with them without having to struggle to reach the table.

Mom speed-walked out of the kitchen, her eyes trained on the pot of hot soup she was carrying that had been brewing for the past 3 hours, I couldn't remember exactly what soup it was, all I knew was that it was to nourish the body and that it was good for my health.

I could still remember spitting out the soup once I had my first taste of it due to how bitter the soup was, which incited laughter from the pair at my disgusted face towards the medicinal soup.

I could still vividly remember the big, bright smiles we all had on our faces, back then, when everything was good, maybe even perfect.

As I opened my eyes, I could feel a drop of something wet trickle down the side of my face and down into the pillowcase. My mouth etched into a bittersweet smile of the good old days while I stared at the ceiling, eyes starting to tremble while I took in sharp breaths of air, willing myself to not let out the gasp that was begging to escape from my mouth.

It was funny how happy, sweet, memories could be this bitter and painful at the same time.

Just then, I heard the constant, continuous ringing of my doorbell.

That could only mean one thing.

Unwillingly, I kicked off the blankets and headed to the door to allow the hardcore fangirl of Ms Myoui to enter.

Once I had opened the door, I could see one of the luxury cars that Chaeyoung's family-owned driving off into the distance. I guess she had one of her chauffers drop her off at my house today.

Chaeyoung was carrying her school bag while she was dressed in simple clothing that was suitable for the study session we were going to have. She was about to greet me with the always present big smile on her face when suddenly, her expression changed into one of worry.

"Are you ok? Were you crying?" Chaeyoung asked in a gentle voice, her face etched with worry.

Shit, how did she know?

"Why would I be crying," I said as I tried to not show my surprise.

"There are tears at the sides of your eyes"

"I just woke up from your nonstop ringing of my doorbell," I said as I grabbed a tissue from the nearby table to dab my eyes while Chaeyoung strolled in after me, closing the front door behind her.

"Where's Mama Huang?" Chaeyoung said while dumping her school bag on one of the chairs in the dining room.

"Working, as per usual"

Chaeyoung nodded her head while we headed to the kitchen so I could prepare my breakfast.

"Remind me why we're having a study session at 8 in the morning?" I said while I poured some cereal into a bowl, followed by some milk.