Chapter 2

Chapter Two

Miserable

I swung my head to the side, scanning the face of the silent man next to me for answers.

He just gave me a, 'I told you so' look.

I returned the gesture and gave him a, 'Did you freaking agree to this' look.

He then responded with a, 'It's like I have a choice to disagree' look.

What the hell.

I'm still in my third year in college. And now I'm supposed to get married to this guy? This strange, obnoxious, self-centered man.

I didn't hear my mum calling my name because I was spacing out so much.

"Shinobu..."

"Uh, yes! Yes." I said.

"So, you agree?"

"Wait what were you saying, mum?" I asked.

"I asked you if you want your marriage to be in two years, before your graduation... In February."

"Wait what?!" I exclaimed.

"Honey, me and Giyu's parents agreed on a binding union of our children to strengthen our businesses."

"You are going to use us?" I asked calmly.

My father massaged his temple. "It is about business..."

"Yeah, and you are using me and... And... this guy." I said while pointing to him.

"Well, he actually agreed to this set up."

"What?" I said feeling betrayed. When I returned my gaze to him, he simply shrugged and continued to sip his red wine.

I sighed, attempting to bring myself to a more relaxed state. I know how to restrain my overwhelming emotions. This is what I am good at.

"Mum, I am too young." I said trying to resonate with my mother. She just eyed me with sad eyes.

No way, she's going to use that against me. If she does that, she knows I'll never say no to her.

"The wedding will be in two years, my love." Mum said.

"But..."

"You have time to think and ponder about it." Mum tried to reach for my hand at the table. I let her do that. "Besides you two will start living together."

I suddenly flinched at what she just said and I can feel Tomioka choking on his wine.

He was coughing, and I had the urge to pat on his back. It was my nursing instincts.

He was surprised at the gesture that he tried to flick my hand away, I just glared at him.

Wow, this man is unbelievable.

"Oh, I am so sorry for surprising you two. Your mum, Giyu, just happened to email me last night saying they already bought a house for you two."

"Ah, okay." He simply said as he wiped his mouth with the table napkin.

"You just agree to that?!" I said.

"What?" He responded back.

"Shinobu..." Mum sighed.

"Mum, this is hard." I said.

"You don't have a boyfriend, right?" Dad suddenly butted in.

My eyes widened at the idea. "Uh, no, I don't do boyfriends. And it's not my thing."

"Then great! Giyu doesn't have a girlfriend as well."

I clenched my teeth and tried to keep my emotions under control once more.

"Okay, once we resign, the clinic will be yours, near our house, if you agree to this." My mom said.

"But I won't proceed to med school." I murmured, even though I badly wanted it. My lifelong ambition has always been to attend medical school...

"Oh, you will... I am sure of that." My dad smiled at me. I just looked at him.

My older sister, Kanae, is currently in Med School after finishing her bachelor's degree. I've made up my mind to not proceed to med school because I want to work as soon as I finish studying college... But there was a part of me that wanted to.

And my parents giving me this clinic will add to the reason for me to proceed.

I gulped as I pondered so much about this situation.

"Okay, okay." I said clenching my fist under my table. "I will agree to this." I just said. I can see a glint of happiness in my mum's eyes. My dad sighed in relief.

And the man beside me just continued eating his Salmon which was served just earlier.

My mum clasped her hands, "So, here are your engagement rings." She said as my father handed us two little black boxes.

I opened mine and saw that it looks large for my hand.

"That's mine." Giyu said, also holding one little box. "And here's yours." He said as he grabbed my hand and slid the ring to my ring finger without even asking me.

"What the?"

"Just quiet down." He whispered, "Now, put mine on."

"You can do it yourself." I said trying to hand him the box.

"Oh, wow, my future wife is very rude." He had the guts to say that.

I hastily grabbed his hands and inserted his ring to his thumb. "Here, future husband." I said as I smiled at him.

He just looked at me, with a surprised face.

I continued smiling at him, teasing him.

"Wow, my wife doesn't know where the ring finger is." He murmured as he removed the ring from his thumb.

I fought the urge to roll my eyes since my parents are in front of us, and we are bickering.

"You two are cute." My mom said. I felt Tomioka choking again on his wine. "So, do you want to take a look on your future home?" She said while smiling.

"Sure, madame." Tomioka said.

"No." I said.

The three of them looked at me as I responded.

"Oh, I mean, not now mom, I have, uhh paper works." I said.

"Alright, you two will move there next month, hmm... Sounds nice?" My dad said.

"Truly." Said Tomioka.

I just nodded trying to refrain myself in shaking my head.

This will be... Miserable.