Chapter 12

Chapter Twelve

Silence

I was taken aback by his words as I strolled over to the shotgun while Mitsuri and Obanai took their seats in the back passenger seat. After a brief pause, Giyu climbed into the driver's seat and turned the engine on.

Mitsuri and I were the only ones who were talking throughout the ride.

"Oh, yes! Iguro-san, I thought you were Tomioka," She giggled. I looked through the rearview mirror and saw Iguro blushing. My eyes widened.

Does my best friend even notice his gazes towards her? She doesn't seem to mind at all!

After that, there was complete silence as I looked at Tomioka at random intervals during the ride. He seemed to be quite focused on something as he stared unblinkingly ahead at the roads.

We dropped Mitsuri first at her home since it was nearer.

"Bye bye!" Mitsuri said, while waving her hands.

"Take care!"

"You too!"

"Bye." I heard Iguro muttering.

It's very clear! This guy has a crush on my best friend!

We then dropped Iguro and now me and Tomioka are all alone at the car.

The radio was playing some soothing music in the background, but the quiet was intolerable, so I decided to strike up a discussion out of the blue.

"Did you once have a girlfriend, Tomioka?"

"No." He answered immediately, not taking his eyes off the road.

"Oh? Really? Not a single one? A fling, perhaps?"

"None."

"You must be very, very boring..." I joked and chuckled.

He casted a glance at me before returning his eyes on the road.

"You think so?"

I was taken aback by his response. I had anticipated that he would either roll his eyes at me, ignore me, say something to refute or insult me, or all of the above.

But he asked me whether I think that he's boring and the way that he said it was sincere... as if he's wondering if he really is a boring person.

"Uh... No. I'm just kidding." I chuckled to ease the awkwardness.

He simply nodded and didn't say anything further.

Silence enveloped once more before he strikes a conversation again.

"How about you?"

My eyes widened at his question. Since when did he first become interested in the details of my life? In most situations, he acts as if I do not exist.

I grinned and looked at him, "You guess!"

"You never had one because you hate men."

I clasped my hands and laughed. "Wow! You know me, Tomioka-san!"

I couldn't stop laughing at what he was saying, and I glanced at him the whole time. It's possible that my eyes are playing tricks on me, but I thought I caught a whiff of a smile coming from his mouth.

My heart suddenly pumped faster and I looked away.

I tried to distract myself from the emotions that were starting to come over me by staring out the window and observing the mundane scenery outside.