Chapter 22

The phone rings.

I try to blink my heavy eyes open and blindly reach for the phone on the bedside table. I was greeted by the brightest flash of light making my eyes sting and tear up. "Miles?" I close my eyes leaving a small space in a squint, and read again to make sure I wasn't hallucinating.

you missed a call it read. I ignored it letting my sleepiness take over

before I could go back to my warm sleep, it ringed... again. I let out a tired groan and checked for the time, 4:30 am. 4:30 am. 4:30 am? What's he calling for this early?

I swiped right to answer. "Miles? it's 4:30 am, what are you doing up?" I sharply stated with my raspy dry throat.

"y/n" he paused, his breath going haywire causing me to go in a great deal of distress "I wouldn't have done it if you didn't leave me, you made me do this!" he incessantly blurted out.

My eyes shifted in every direction you could possibly imagine trying to figure out what he did and what I caused. I drew in a greatly exaggerated breath to steady myself and clear my mind. "w-what did you do?"

"You brought me there, I saw their powers, and you left me, so I told people." he managed to say through his gritted teeth.

My shoulders lose their tension. people? I'm pretty sure that's fine. It should be.

"authorities," he added with a half-anxious tone.

"What?" he didn't say anything. I stood up and frantically descended the stairs. "Miles? am I hearing this correctly?" I force a chuckle, maybe he was joking, but he stayed silent. "Miles, uh people these days, hah, especially tHe AuThOrItIeS are not good people, they- they" I halted when I noticed how I was bickering and took a moment to process all these. I felt my blood rush and shrill with fear and anger. "MILE-"

The end tone cut my words off. I started biting my nails and walking back and forth. What do I say? How will I tell them I caused this? I hazily wondered through a daze of adrenaline

Deep breaths heave as I stagger to the kitchen and as I uncontrollably slam each cabinet open trying to find something, I have no idea what it is, but I kept looking.

I let out a heavy piece in my chest with a sigh. A wine bottle. Two sides of me were fighting, one saying, 'do it, drink up, it's okay' and the other one saying 'tell them now, it's later than you think, we don't have the time'

Just as I was about to take the cork off, my better judgment appears. I took the phone and scrolled through the contacts, "Miles" I pressed the button and placed it against my ears. Answer, please, just answer.

I tear up as I desperately willed him to pick up. If he doesn't, then I don't- he has to answer.

"y/n, this isn't my fault" his voice came out fierce and even.

"can you just tell them it isn't true?" The last word hitched in a begging whine.

"why lie? it's true." his tone was unwaveringly keen.

I let out a dry bitter laugh "You have lied to me... a million times, why would you change it now?"

He quickly responds "He deserves it."

"e-excuse me? you- you think for leaving your petty ass, he deserves to have his family killed?" My voice raised, but I lowered it realizing that people might hear me.

"he didn't just take you away from me. He trapped her." his stance began falling apart, affecting the steadiness of his voice.

I shake my head left and right, confused, but I brushed it off, I didn't care what he felt, I don't care and I am tired of pretending I do "you said you love me, is this love?" I breathily blurted out.