Chapter Six

Warning(s): none

Words: 1445

Teddy seldom woke up late, he was a relatively light sleeper and even though he hated mornings he always somehow mustered up the energy to get up and get himself ready. So he wasn't quite sure how he managed to wake up with only five minutes till he had to be in for work. After turning his apartment into a tornado as he threw things around trying to get himself ready quickly he remembered today he was supposed to be administering a t-shot. Realizing there was no way he had time he quickly threw the syringe and small bottle of testosterone into a section of his handbag and rushed himself out the door.

After a few comments were made about how much of a mess he looked like from everyone Morgen claiming he had 'sex hair' or whatever that meant they all sat down at the round table going through what they were going to be doing today Teddy furiously combing through his hair with his fingers while everyone talked.

He planned on administering his t-shot in the men's bathroom when he got the chance once he heard that they wouldn't be going anywhere. Missions were handed out surprisingly infrequently from what he heard there were only around three cases every two to four months. After the morning meeting was over and he had consumed enough bad office coffee to function normally he made his way over to the bathroom took out his bag casually and dumped it on the counterpart of the stink splashing some water on his face and swatting at the bits of his hair that still stuck up now understanding what Morgen meant when he said Teddy had 'sex hair'. After a few minutes, he glanced around a bit making sure nobody was in any of the stalls before carefully taking out the small syringe and testosterone bottle, and setting it down on a folded paper towel.

Teddy slowly lifted his shirt pinching at the skin just above his hip, he's supposed to take his shots once every two weeks. It's a bit more difficult to self-administer but for obvious reasons, he couldn't ask anyone for help.

Teddy filled the syringe and held it up to the pinched skin and took in a deep breath but just before he could poke his skin with the needle he heard a sound from behind him and dropped the syringe hurriedly to the floor swearing under his breath as he bent down to pick it back up not fully processing the sound of the door opening behind him.

"Hey Greenfield, you've been in there awhile you- what are you doing?" Morgan's voice called sending Teddy to freeze.

"It's- it's nothing I swear," Teddy mumbled trying to hurriedly stuff the small vial back in his bag, failing to get the syringe before Morgen grabbed it from his hands inspecting it.

"Are these drugs? Are you seriously injecting yourself at an FBI office? How stupid are you?"

"No, It's not- no it's not what it looks like I swear I don't do drugs," Teddy said, his voice rising as he started becoming anxious.

"No, I know exactly what that is, give me your vial I will be reporting this to Hotch."

"No, no, you can't. I won't give it to you, please give it back. I need to take it." Teddy said fear setting in as he tried grabbing at the still-full syringe.

Morgen looked at Teddy in disgust as he walked out of the men's bathroom shaking his head and muttering about how he knew something was wrong leaving Teddy shaking about the mistake he had just made.

Teddy sunk to the floor grabbing at his hair, no, he couldn't freak out not now. He would have to explain everything to Hotchner and maybe even Morgen. The prospect of telling two people he was trans made him sick. He expected to be able to keep this secret longer, maybe half a year at most. He wanted to be closer to everyone before telling them, he had a plan.

Teddy was sitting on the floor of the bathroom curled into a ball as his mind reeled. Teddy was deathly scared as he stared at the bathroom door waiting for Hotch to walk into the room and start chewing him out. He heard the muffled sounds of talking and one louder voice almost yelling that was probably Morgen, maybe Hotch he couldn't tell.

The thing he didn't expect was for Reid to walk through the door, close it behind him, and sit down next to Teddy.

"You alright?" Reid whispered, glancing over at Teddy who almost smiled at the question.

"Oh yeah, I'm great. I might get fired because my boss thinks I'm doing drugs but other than that I'm peachy." Teddy choked out looking away from Reid.

"Yeah, well if it means anything I don't think you were doing drugs."

"Think you can convince Hotch."

"Well, I don't think he thinks you were doing drugs but you're going to have one hell of an explanation to get you out of trouble. What were you doing anyways?" Reid asked, resting his head on his left arm.

Teddy simply shook his head he didn't want to have to tell Spencer when he knew he would probably have to tell Hotch too. He wanted to wait for a better time than when he wasn't crying on the floor of a bathroom.

Teddy felt himself dissociating emotions were too much for him and he was already probably fired. He didn't expect to feel arms wrapping around him and a face burying into his side. Teddy's mouth was open slightly as he felt more tears stream down his face as he rested his head on top of Spencer's and the two just sat there for a moment.

"Thank you." Teddy breathed thinking if he talked too loud it would somehow ruin the moment. "Why are you doing this? Don't you hate physical contact?"

"Thought you needed it," Spencer whispered back.

A few minutes later Hotch walked into the bathroom and the two separated immediately Hotch asked for the bottle and Teddy handed it over looking down at his shoes as Hotch read the label.

"Why are you taking testosterone, Greenfield?"

"It's um- something I take. Hormone imbalance. I take it once every two weeks. I didn't have time to take it today so I decided to just take it in, get my shot quickly and continue my work." Hotch stared at Teddy, not seeming satisfied with this response.

Hotch made Spencer leave and continued to stare at Teddy wanting more of an explanation. "Theodore Greenfield, are you trans?"

"What?"

"You heard me, I think you're trans. Sure cis men sometimes take testosterone but it is a lot more common to be taken by trans men, you have to go to therapy something trans people I'm pretty sure have to go to, Garcia also told me there was almost no information about you besides information tied to a Jane Greenfield who I don't think was your ex-wife but you before you started transitioning." Hotch said, crossing his arms.

"Jeez, you profilers are good." Teddy sighed

"How long did you expect to keep this a secret?"

"I don't know, Not for too long, people look at you differently when they learn that you're trans they still might call you by your preferred name but usually it's as if they don't see you as a guy."

"A reasonable fear, if it isn't obvious I do support you but what do you want to do going forward?"

"Brush this under the rug I guess? Tell Morgen that it was a prescription I need to take and then I'll come out to the team when I'm ready."

Hotch nodded his head, seeming to be satisfied with this information. "I am going to need you to be suspended for two days. You need to have a drug test taken, something every member takes that somehow slipped my mind. But when you come back we can discuss this more." Hotch nodded, giving Teddy a supportive tap on the shoulder. "Your mental health hasn't been doing the best recently I've noticed so if you need to take some extra time to work through something I would understand that completely."

"Thanks, Hotch, I just might take you up on that offer." Teddy smiled, taking the syringe and vial from Hotch and putting it back in his bag.

"No problem, and Greenfield? Don't take your medication at work anymore." 

A/N AYYYYY two updates in one day? I'm on a roll man we gonna get to the romance soon 

-blu<3