Chapter 1

As my eyes flutter open and I can't help but lay still and absorb the cool texture of the cement floor. I slowly scrape my dirty fingernails across the floor and into a fist before attempting to get up. As I rise I wipe my hands on my water dampen dress. I don't feel the water, but my dress clings to my legs as I move. My eyes scan the area around me and I'm confused, not realizing where I am or why I'm here, this is not my room. My eyes flicker around the room only to find it not to be a room. I know immediately where I am when I see the old spinning wheel, I'm in the basement cellar. Why didn't I go home? My wide eyes glance around the room in confusion, the basement?

I open my mouth to speak, but I'm not sure what I want to say. But, at the subtle growl of my stomach all questions fly away. I pat one hand on my stomach, I just want to steal some supper and go home. As I start on my way out of the basement I don't hear the usual tap of my steps or whips of my dress. I quicken my pace suddenly realizing the deathening silence of the cellar. My mind seems to be tricking me, everything looks the same but something is still off, something I can't put my finger on.

Not just the silence, but the light maybe, from the small barred window. The way the light twists and turns reflecting off of broken glass and rusted mirrors. I glance around the room as I move towards the exit trying to convince myself everything is fine. As I see the light from the stairway draw nearer my eyes drop to the ground only to see a mouse, it runs what looks to be right through me. Maybe it's the way the mouse runs over my feet as if I'm not even here that causes a shiver to run up my spine. I kick out my legs and shake off the mouse germs.

As I reach the door I still wonder why did I come down here? As I start to ascend the stairs, I don't hear a creak in my step which is good because I hear a voice, a cry of sorts and it draws me back down.

I slip down two steps and strain my ears to listen hoping the person would soon leave. The crying softens then a new voice appears and it turns to talking.

'What a great place to have a conversation,' I mutter to myself as I wait in the stairway and try to see if I can slip around the people without getting caught leaving at such a strange hour. I glance out at the candles in the palace hall; they are all lit and half melted. It must be later than I thought and today must be special if they lit the gold candles.

"What day is it?" I accidentally say aloud then cover my hand over my mouth. The voices grow louder, and a soft giggle knocks me back again. I stand farther away from the door this time but I am getting tired of waiting. Getting tired in general, I reach for my bag to see if I took anything of use today but as my hand slides down my side I feel nothing. I glance down, my eyes flickering with anger, fear and annoyance, my bag.

"Why do I keep losing this thing?" The words escape me before thinking about the possibility of being heard. I rush back to where I had fallen only to see me, me? Me??? My body is lying on the ground. I stop and stare as only to think my eyes are tricking me, I'm here. I'm right here, I can't be there and here. I turn away and turn back but still my body lay. "Okay, I'm hallucinating," I think aloud and kneel down next to the figure.

"You are not real." I state slowly and start to bend down. "Because I am here-" I reach out a shaky hand to touch it, to touch me. My hand stops just before it touches the figure, afraid of what my mind is creating. I hesitantly reach out and my arm goes through her, through me. A scream escapes my mouth and a feverish chill runs up my spine and all throughout my arms and legs. This isn't real, this is a trick of sorts. I jump back my mind racing, hands shaking, this isn't real. I reach for my bag which is lying on the ground next to my body but can't grasp the handle. I try again and again, but my hands are numb, and the fabric is out of reach somehow. I clench my hands into fists and think of what happened right before this. But I can't remember.

You have been down in the cellar for who knows how long; your hands are cold, your brain is hallucinating, I try and slap sense into myself. Once you get your bag and get some food you will be fine, I tell myself quickly trying to reassure myself of my sanity. Just relax and grab your bag I think, trying to find a logical reason for this strange situation. I unclench my fists, let out a deep calming breath and reach again for my bag but it still remains unmoved. I try again but that doesn't work, I kick my bag but it remains still. Now I kick at the body that appears to be me. What's happening? My body slouches as I agonize about what happening, what games are my mind playing on me?

I hear a click from the door but am too focused on this body, on my spirit to think much upon it. The bag and my body are just a hallucination. I am real. I turn away finally giving up on my bag and head to the stairs. The light is gone from the hallway now so I move slowly up the stairs feeling the rusted rail for guidance but I can't seem to grasp it either. When I reach the top of the stairs there is only a slight glow coming from under the now closed door. I gently push the door but it won't budge. Nothing.

I push on the door harder but it doesn't budge. I move my hands around the edges trying to find a possible lock but it is smooth besides a few beaten boards. I pound again, but it remains still. Giving up on leaving silently I decide to scream.

"Help! Hello! I'm trapped in here!" I don't care if I get in trouble, I want out of this rotten, smelly hole. "Hello?" I bellow but I don't hear any voices or footsteps coming to my rescues. So I decide to run into the door.

"Break it open," I demand myself. I take a deep breath in preparation for the pain that would soon radiate my shoulder. I charge it, BAM! I try again, still nothing. I bang on the door and hear no hit, no pound of my fist. I hit harder and faster, "Hello?" I finally hear voices in the hallway and continue to pound away. Something had to be wrong with my hearing. Nothing I do makes a sound yet everything I do should make a sound. I scream again but no one responds. The footsteps fade and the voices are no longer in ear shot and I can't help but feel hopeless.

I sit with my back against the door, waiting for someone to come to my rescue but no one knows I am here. I don't even know how I got here. My mind thinks back to the candles, the golden candles. Today is something special, what is it? Maybe someone would come down soon in need of cleaning rags. I turn to the door once more and pound my fist into it as hard as I possibly can in frustration. I hear nothing and I feel no pain. I stumble down the stairs again in the dark and drag myself back to my body. My dead body? Am I dead?

If this is real... I can't fathom the situation, this can't be real. Get back into your body is the only logical thought out of this illogical situation, but how? I lay down on top of myself but as I sit up she remains still on the floor. I rise up and pounce on my body, then body slam, but each time I pop right back up. Just one more try, I think over and over again as I fall into the body. Again I ram into myself, each time still remaining two.

There is a small barred window in the cellar but the sun is no indication for how long I've been down here. The sky is grey and filled with clouds, I could have been down here 2 hours, 2 days, or ever 2 weeks for all I know.

************