7

My heart beats, and blood runs through my veins. My mind is still active even though my body is still. I can't look at me anymore. Just the sight of me makes me shake to my core. So I move to the window and see girls and boys, of all colors and sizes rushing to a beautiful towering white building. I hear the pring of the bell and instantly know what the white building is. It must be the church and its 9 o'clock church bells echoing off the castle walls. I never worked on Sundays I never saw the crowd that flowed into the God loving building. This isn't the church that Mitch and his father go to either, but I know what it is. Something that beautiful can only be one thing.

I push myself further out the window to see a few stragglers running towards the old building. A final bell chimes and the doors close with a slam as a skirt disappears beyond the door. My mind stays transfixed for a moment or two while I watch the light reflex in the stain glass.

"Are you going to go down?"

"What did you say?" I jump with surprise at the voice and immediately turn to the noise. "Hello?" I call and run to the door.

"Yeah, I know I'm late but" a new voice says and my shoulder sag in realization, they weren't talking to me. "Better late than never, that's what ma said anyway."

"Hello?" I say again, all enthusiasm gone.

"Well see you in there then, gotta get cleaned up." The guard waves goodbye to his companion and leaves me to talk to myself again. That sliver of hope brings me back to the window, back to the church, along with a wave of emotions both good and bad. I slouch against the window and see the wind as it whips around the room causing the small torn curtains to fly slightly in the breeze. Me however, I'm still and unwavering in everything but my faith, that part of my life disappeared a long time ago. I try and feel the breeze hit me but I can't. I try and absorb the light but it fades right through me. Sadness takes over again. Years ago that would have been me. I would have been rushing through the church doors at the final bell with my parents at my heels. But now this is me, pricked then trapped, and now possibly, maybe, hopefully not but my odds don't look good... stuck.

*********

"Come on mama"

"Shhh, honey we are already late, we have to be quiet" she holds up a finger to her lips "be quiet" she repeats.

"There's mitch" I whisper shout and move towards him.

"Go sneak a seat next to him" the choir is still singing so our hushed voices are only heard by those we pass. I run up next to him and he gives me hug before I sit, my parents soon sit behind us next to Darius, Mitch's father.

"I knew you were coming" Mitch whispers as he takes a seat once the song is done "I told dad to save your parents a seat too." He jabs a finger back at our parents.

"Thanks" I whisper, seeing my mom's raised brow ready to quiet me again.

"You missed your favorite song" he states.

"Which one?" I ask, "I have a lot of favorite songs."

"You know the one..." he spins his fingers and wiggles his shoulders "the one that goes..." He mumbles a melody, but not one I recognize. Darius gives Mitch a tap on the shoulder shushing him and a silent 'hello' to me. "You know that one?" he asks quietly seeing the pastor come out on stage.

"No I don't" his face falls slightly "but I'll take your word for it" I say with a laugh, I look up to the pearl white podium and the sermon starts.