33

"I don't understand, what happened? I thought she was unresponsive." Max asks as he moves around the bed, his footsteps are like drum beats pounding on the sides of my skull.

"I don't know," Russo replies, "I haven't been here in a while and she was already starting to flair when I arrived..." His voice hesitates and it seems as though the world stops for a moment and I take control of my brain again. I feel stronger, but still dizzy, still weak, but I open my eyes. I lean my head on my knees, using the wall for balance.

"She's stabilizing, sort of. But I don't know how to help her, I don't know what the poison is doing to her. I don't know how to wake her and this..." he gestures to my still shaking body and looks still so confused. "Max, would you please stay with her a moment I need to find the palace physician and make sure he didn't do something to cause this reaction to happen." Max nods and pulls up a seat.

Russo hurries down the hall, his footsteps down the stairs grew softer but still so loud. Max takes notes and continues to try and subside my symptoms. My brain hurts too much to keep my eyes open. My brain feels as though it is failing and my body is dying along with it as all the pain rushes back.

I must have fallen asleep or knocked unconscious from the pain, either way I wake and my head still pounding, but it is bearable now. I'm able to block the sounds temporarily with much effort. I stand slowly, but see no one in my room. What day is it? How long was I out? What happened to me? Why do I feel things? Why did I... questions race through my brain and the world spins faster and my head pounds louder with every little sound.

"Stop thinking," I say, but it is so hard to not think especially, when there are so many questions, even if there are no reasonable answers. As I rise I fall back on the floor. I crawl like a cat and manage to get myself on the bed. My head, not only is spinning but I hear this maddening ringing or buzzing as if a bug wormed its way in my head and is having a concert. I don't know how long I laid in bed and willed myself to sleep when the thud of boots parade the halls and Manson along with the king come through my door once again. I open one eye but I am too weak and don't care to see their stupid faces. I can hear every word they say though so clearly.

"She was having tremors, shaking entirely, she was both freezing and boiling." Manson speaks as if he knows what is happening. The king though looms over my body, I can feel his stare through my closed burning eyes. "I think her body might be dying, your majesty." At that I sit up, but my head spins from the quick movement and I focus my sight on Manson, so this is it, I'm finally dying.

"Then we should get rid of her," the king is so matter of fact that it makes me think he doesn't have a soul. Yes, I am no one to him, but I doubt he would save anyone other than Aurora anyway. But doesn't that mean that Aurora is to die next?

Arren burst through the door, he must have talked with Russo and heard of what had happened. Guards' swords come out and aim at Arren and he freezes, his hands slowly raise and his bag drops to the floor. The king looks to Arren as if daring him to speak, to defy him greatness.

"She is not dying," Arren says with conviction. His voice is steady and unafraid, even with 4 swords pointing at his chest. "I am Dr. Arren Greyson, your majesty," he hesitates slightly and bows. "And I have been with Harriet for a long while now. I feel that her recent outburst of tremors and fever is her body trying to wake up." The King stares at Arren, but Arren doesn't show any sign of weakness or arrogance. The King gives a nod and the swords lower so do Arren's hands.

"This is Harriet?" the King asks loosely pointing to me. Arren reaches down to pick up his bag, keeping his eyes on me.

"Yes and her recent outburst may just be the key to finding how to wake up her and Aurora..." Arren's directs his attention to the king. Everything slows and I can only hear Arren, I slide my eyes closed, but I feel his gaze lock on me. Trying to see if I was any different since the tremors and problems that ensued yesterday. I look the same though maybe a bit clammy and cold, but no healthier then the day before last. "Please," Arren says turning his attention back to the king, "give me more time, I think I can find a cure for both of them, I just need a little bit more time." The tension in the room is like a blanket, the guards keep their hands on the hilt of their swords as they wait for the king's next move. Staring contest I think, as I pop my eyes open.

As Arren silently pleads for my life he interlocks eyes with the Kings defiant stare. No matter who will win, I will lose. I know Arren isn't closer to finding a cure but, he is a very convincing liar. Even if he does get me a few more days, I'm not sure I want them. I'm dizzy and in pain, my chest burns, and my throat is sore and scratchy. A small tremor starts again in my left hand, and the king must have noticed. He finally brakes contact with Arren and looks to my shaking hand.

"Stop," I whisper to my hand "don't move, Arren is trying to save you, you need to act normal and not move." But my hand continues to shake and the kings sneer turns to a sly grin. He opens his mouth, this is it, it's over, tell Mitch goodbye for me. But the door swings open the guards draw their swords once again and everyone's attention turn as well.

"He, he, he." Three plump fairies burst through the doors unable to stop their uncontrollable happiness and giggles. The king focuses his attention on them. His eyes stare deadly at them. They don't seem to notice his frustration. "True loves kiss!" They shout and dance around the room. The guards withdrew their swords and follow as the fairies lead the king to Aurora's room.

True loves kiss.