24

*********

The day seems to drag on forever and the princess isn't making anything any easier. Her cries seem to echo throughout the palace, it's a good thing no one can hear her or they might wish her to stay this way.

"Aurora, how are you doing today?" I ask trying to be concerned and a generally good human being, but she screams and starts to curse at me. I don't know what to say or do, but for some reason I just stand and let her yell at me. I take her verbal punches and let the hate and pain soak in. Once she is done yelling she stands still in front of me, we both just stare blankly at one another. I want to know what she's thinking. I want to know who hurt her so much that she has all this anger built up. I want to speak, I want to yell and get all my built up anger out as well, but she is not the source of my anger, she does not deserve my pain.

"I don't know what it's like to be you," she face softens and I can see her harsh stance start to mold away. "So tell me what's going on side your head, tell me so I can help you." She opens her mouth, but I can't have her yell at me, not until I'm done. "No matter what do or say, I will not think any less of you." It's a slight lie, but it can be the truth if she stops screaming at me. "Aurora," her lips are quivers and I fear she might break down right on the spot, "tell me what I can do to help you."

She turns away from me and moves lazily back to her sleeping figure. So I turn to leave as well, giving up on the princess for the day, but she yells back to me.

"I hate you..." I freeze, about to retort, to finally let my rage out, "But don't leave me... Please." I turn to face her, but before I can fathom the queer statement she is lunging at me and enveloping me in a hug. I can feel her. I place my hands on her shoulders, I can feel her. This is real. This is the first real thing. Then I think back to her words, I hate you, but don't leave me. What a strange statement. I hate you, don't leave me. So I just hold her and she weeps into me.

"It's all going to be okay," I say, still unknowing what the future holds for us. But I say it again feeling strength in it this time. "It's all going to be okay." We sound and look like sniveling children. I hear Matthews and Cory walking up the hallway to my room, but I don't go to greet them, instead I stay and listen to Aurora weep. I've never liked her, but I've never wished her pain. I wouldn't wish this curse on my worst enemy.

Shame washes over me for thinking such horrible things of Aurora previously, she is a mere child, just 16. I'm 22, no longer a child yet, my tantrum is worse than hers at times. I want to control my tongue and help her so that maybe we can survive this together. As she weeps, my strength dissolves and I weep with her. She looks up to me and we slump to the floor, screaming and crying out. I wish I could cry tears to prove that I am here, that I still exist. But no tears come so I dryly weep, still holding Aurora in my arms.

***********

Previously

I count the days after his wedding, knowing he won't be able to come back right away, if at all. But I still count, still want to hold out an ounce of faith that I can see him again.

47 days since his wedding. That is enough time for an extended honeymoon and settling in, right? I walk through the herds of people shopping in the market and bump into almost all of them. Such an innocent act, a gentle bump and an apology, they shake it off and move along down the road. They never see it coming, until they get home and realize they're missing something. So far I've grabbed 3 watches, a few broches; bet I could get some good money for those, and a pile of candied sweets of all sorts. It's a slow day, but better to be slow then bump into the wrong person. Having my hand stuck in a royals pocket and I could be the losing more than my goods, most likely a hand or my head.