21

HARRIET

"Aye little one, you aren't so little anymore. The palace treating you well?"

"Absolutely." I reply plopping the bag of stolen goods on his counter. His lips turn up as he starts sorting the goods.

"You've plumped up nicely over the past few years. I remember the first time you came in here, scared and nervous. You definitely are not that scared little girl anymore."

"Well princess gotta eat." I pat my stomach.

"Yes your highness." A laugh deep in his throat comes out making me laugh as well.

"So Rowan, what did your wonderful wife make for me today?"

"So princess, why do you think the food is always for you?" A smirk crosses his face and he looks up briefly when he finishes sorting the goods.

"Because I'M the princess, and I bring you only the best goods weekly." I tap the counter my nails chatter the surface. "They are always flying off the shelf within a day."

"Aye, aye, princess I know what ye' is thinking, coming here stealing me treats." He reaches for his coins and pulls up a basket of goodies.

"Thank you," I say in a sing song tone.

"Aye, aye, princess, make sure Mitcham gets some." I shove a piece in my mouth devouring its buttery sweetness. "He yelled at me for not saving him one last time." Rowan adds bitterly.

"Mitchell." I say crumbs spilling out my mouth and onto the floor. "And he wasn't fast enough, the sweets were much too good to be sitting around for long."

"Aye, well he begged for a piece, in a louder than normal Mitcham tone." Rowan countered.

"Mitchell, Rowan not Mitcham." I correct. Rowan rolls his large hazel eyes, his bushy eyebrows raise in amusement. "Mitch-EL, not Mitch-AM, EL, not AM."

"Nah princess, I like Mitcham better." Rowan says knowingly, "Save him one this time." He adds with a wink.

"So you've told me." I say taking my earnings and some more treats, "maybe if he's quick he'll get one this time." I return his wink with a mischievous arched eyebrow.

"Oh and Harriet," I turn back to face him, a half eaten pastry hanging out my mouth. "Happy birthday, go celebrate!" And he tosses a silver coin in the air I reach out to catch it. My eyes light with joy. "Go on now." He says reaching for a sweet, gobbling it up in one bite.

"Aurora turned 16 almost 2 months ago right when I had the misfortune of being sucked into this miserable slumber. That is why I think Aurora was the one the poison was for because she is known and I am not." I look to Matthews and Cory who are hard at work. "Killing me would get this person, whoever they are, nothing." I rise up and jump on the bed. "But Aurora," I stop bouncing and jab a finger at the wall opposite, her room is right next door. "The poisoner could get quite a reward for taking the curse off of her." I continue to bounce on the bed, but a shrill shriek causes me to stumble and fall off the bed slamming my head against the floor. I rub at my head expecting it hurt, but I feel no pain. I check my body to make sure it is still safe, I look as though I always do, pale and unmoving. Matthews and Cory run for the door midst my falling and rush to the scream.

"It's Aurora," the voice screams. "Our dearest Aurora!" I can't help myself, what has the princess gotten into now? I make my way out the door only to see guards carefully carrying Aurora's body to her room.

"Wh-what happened?" I stammer.

"Did she fall into this sleep as well?" Matthew's questions marching in behind the guards.

"Yes, yes," the woman moans, tears soaking her blouse.

Aurora went into a slumber and there is no sign of anyone coming forward asking for anything to wake her. There is no ransom, or deal of any sorts. It has been a day and the palace is in disarray. Aurora is put through the same tests as I and still the results are normal. I guess the poisoner thought it was better off to keep her like that forever. Less of a nuisance I suppose.