35

***********\

Previously

68 days... he's not coming back. She kidnapped him and he's never coming back. No, I think, don't think of him as trapped, think of him as happy. He is happy. Having so much fun with his new wife and new life, I bite at my nails trying to think of an excuse of why he isn't back yet. He lost track of time and days. I slouch on the dirty floor, brow creased and arms limp, he will come back when he can. A drastic realization occurs, maybe she's pregnant and then after the child is born I can see him and-

"Hey you," a voice bellows towards me, "get back to work! There is no slacking! You stop to dilly dally and you lose your job! Now scrub the damn floors, servant girl."

I grasp the rag firmly in my hand and scrub for a good 15 seconds until she leaves then I do a scan of the room, I'm alone. I dump the whole water pale on the floor. Water spreads across the floor and it looks so beautiful. I rise from the ground and stand in the middle of the mess and spin. Water spirts everywhere it wasn't already before, as I spin my way around the room. My legs are covered in dirty water and I'm sure to be fired for this. But as of right now, I give up.

**********

Now

I lost hope, as I'm sure most do when they are literally on their death bed, just waiting for their time to die. I want to scream, but no one can hear me. I want cry, but this body won't let me. I want to open the journals and logs of my health, see if they are missing something, but alas I can't. I want to throw a vase against the wall, I want to watch it shatter into a million tiny pieces. But I want to be free most of all.

**********

Previously

"Helena!" The same voice booms. Not my name I think, but I would rather her spread news of Helena the horrible, then Harriet. "Go down to the basement and get rags and cloths now. This is a disgrace. You will clean this up then you will be relieved of your duties. Permanently."

I should just leave, but for some reason, some very stupid reason, I do as she says. I reach for my bag and I slip on the mess I made as I go. I slosh and squeak all the way to the basement cellar. I don't keep my head low as I normally would. No, this time I keep my head high. I'm done with this place and everything and everyone in it. I smile at a tall ginger haired guard as I pass, but he only looks at me with confusion and maybe disgust.

"Yeah, I know I look like a mess, but as I said I don't care, I'm done with this stupid place!" I call out as I continue my trek to the basement. I feel free. In this moment while going to get rags, I feel free.

************

Now

"Hello Harriet." I peel my eyes open and shock washes over me.

"Aurora?" I didn't think I would see Aurora again after she woke. She was up and about enjoying the life she was graced with. I watched her run among the trees and play ball with the common folk. She is different than before and it makes me happy to see her well. I get up and rush to her, but I can no longer hug her and she can no longer hear me. Despair and depression drags my body back to the floor at my bedside. I don't know what I am to expect, she remembers me after getting her life back I should be flattered. But, I'm in more pain then before. She stands at my bedside fiddling with the sleeves of her dress. Her toes pointed inward, her eyes averted from me, her face is pale as if she was going back into her slumber.

"Aurora," I say again even though it is useless.

"I wanted..." she starts, but stops almost instantly. I stand to face her holding onto the bedpost for balance and plead her to continue before a doctor comes in and scares her off. "I wanted," she says again, but no more words come out. Her shoulders slump and she collapses to the ground and cries real tears. I follow her down.

"Please don't cry, you're safe, you are alive. Go live your life. Forget about me." I don't want her to forget. I want her to remember me. I want her to care, and I think she does. But I don't want her to still be trapped in my dungeon.

She contains her cries "I'm so sorry Harriet," she says. Sorry? I don't understand she has nothing to apologize for. "True lives kiss, I'm sure you remember and maybe you saw me wake, but I heard them speak if trying to dispose of you now that I am awake." Tears fall from her perfect face, she wipes at them with her pink manicured thumb. "I fear they don't care to fix you anymore. I told them you were very popular and finding your true love would not be a problem," she gives a small laugh, knowing about my only friend, Mitch. "So they have sent callers to towns and..." I can barely comprehend what she is saying before she is done. "Boys will be coming to try and wake you up. Well I suppose men will be coming, not boys." Her face is flushed with color now from crying and her nose and eyes are reddened. She sniffles up some courage. "I wrote to Kendall as well... and I'm riding out to see her soon, to ask her for forgiveness. To apologize immensely to her." Aurora grasps my hand gently and I feel her, this body that I'm trapped in feels her. "You were kind to me, so I hope you have a true love so that you might be woken as well. I will be praying for you Harriet, even if you don't believe, I will still pray for you."

Voices come and go from the park down below and my eyes drift away to the window, when my eyes return Aurora is gone. Her pink dress whips around the corner before I can thank her for saving my life or at least attempting to.