[Chapter 3] - His Body

***

Y/n and Togari stood shoulder to shoulder overlooking the inexplicable river running through the barren lands of Meteor City. The wind wisped through their hair, blowing strands towards the river, almost as if calling the two to an unknown place.

"You're the only one I'll ever love Togari." She rested her head on his shoulders, bringing herself closer to him, "I wanted to know my family, but you're the only family I need," she lied. Tears pricked her eyes, she truly longed for someone to call her their own, a mother, a father. Just someone to come to save her.

Togari smiles upon hearing her false words and laid his head on hers. "You sound like you're saying your last words. You're the only family I need Y/n and I love you too. So, don't go leaving on me, okay?"

Y/n grabbed his hand in hers as they continued to look down the unending river.

She blinked away the tears threatening to fall. Speaking softly, she said to him, "I won't ever leave your side. I promise. Promise me as well," she smiles dishonestly, craving a sense of safety.

"I promise." The words were unexpectedly not comforting to the young girl.

A silence enveloped the two kids as they watch the sun get lower to the horizon. Wouldn't it be amazing if the false sense of security lasted, so she could just pretend to be okay?

***

Y/n woke up, feeling a sense of nostalgia, the bright sunlight glistening down on her skin. The blanket that had been covering her through the night had almost completely fallen off and her hair was dishevelled in the pillows and sheets. liar

"Where am I?" she asked groggily, getting up from her sleeping position. The rays of light greeted the girl as she slowly opened her eyes. This wasn't her apartment. "Oh, right," she remembered. She was still at Mr. Kurta's place. Though, it was strange. She didn't remember falling asleep here.

She got up out of bed and walked to the window. The sun was high in the sky, and it was well past noon. The sky was so bright that she had to avert her eyes. She brought her hand to her head and felt the mess of hair that lay upon it. She sighed in defeat and started to comb it out with her fingers, brushing through the knots and detangling each section of hair.

It was only after she was done that she walked out of the room. She made her way through the hallway and out into the living room once again. There she was greeted with the back of the blonde man, sitting on the couch. "Mr. Kurta?" she called out to him as she approached the couch. He didn't respond, instead, he stayed completely silent. She sighed in annoyance and walked around the couch so that she was in front of him. There she noticed that he was asleep. His eyes were closed shut and his mouth was hanging the tiniest bit agape. He looked somewhat peaceful, a stark contrast to how he is when he's awake; and for a moment, she found herself smiling.

Upon realizing this, she quickly shook her head to rid herself of the unknown feeling, "what are you doing Y/n?" she breathed. She was about to wake him up when her eyes caught notice of something. The timeline board had gotten fuller. For every sticky note they had placed down yesterday, one or two more had been added with multiple different theories for each motive. How long had he stayed up? The last thing she remembered before she fell asleep was the sun that had started to rise. Was he the one that brought her to that bedroom? Just how much sleep did he get?