[Chapter 12] - A Suspicion Confirmed

☽ ✧ ☾

"SPIDERS."

With the black sleek notebook still clutched in his hands, Kurapika swiftly exited the bar. The drunk men and women watched silently as the blond pushed open the doors, a girl following quickly behind him. Beau watched his two saviours burst out of the bar violently. The conversations in the bar resumed promptly as the doors closed; it wasn't an unusual sight. Beau turned his head as Kelsie walked out wearing an unamused expression. She shook her head in disbelief.

Outside of the brick bar, between it and the neighbouring building, the two partners hid from the public eye. Kurapika could feel the frustration burning in his eyes. Y/n stood behind him, a sizable space left between them. She thought it best not to approach at that moment. Kurapika brushed the hair annoyingly falling on his face back with his hands. He sighed with frustration.

Y/n reached out a hand but rescinded it, "are you alright?" she asked bluntly, not avoiding the subject. She wasn't concerned about his mood; she was however interested in his expression when reading the records. It was curious.

"Fine," he replied in the same tone. He spoke, yet he couldn't look in her direction. He faced away from her in an attempt to conceal the magnitude of his frustrations. She might understand a part of his anger, but she didn't know half of it.

Y/n couldn't comprehend his actions. He was fine but couldn't look her in the eyes? She reached out and tugged at his shoulder, but he was unmoved. It wasn't that he couldn't look at her, it was that he refused.

"Wait," he said harshly.

Y/n promptly removed her hand from him, leaving him space. She stood in silence, the darkness creeping over them.

The alley between buildings wasn't spacious, shadows were easily attracted. Y/n pressed her back against the wall, crossing her arms, as she patiently waited for Kurapika to speak up first.

Kurapika let out a deep sigh and turned around, "sorry," he apologized as he fixed his hair. He seemed perfectly well. Back to normal, expressionless and collected.

Y/n stared him down. He seemed to have calmed down. "What happened," she asked as he leant on the wall, beside her, "you seem to know something." She was genuinely confused by his reaction to the records.

Kurapika sighed, feeling the cold concrete wall press up against his back, "yeah," he admitted, "I have an idea who bought the bullets," he stated confidently.

What?

Maybe she failed to connect the dots. The clue of "spiders" did not indicate an actual person, never mind a suspect. Had Kurapika been able to deduce a lead with so little information? She honestly had never expected him to carry his weight.

"Who?" she asked curiously.

Kurapika looked ever to the girl with a severe expression, "this might be far-fetched, but there is evidence to back it up," he admitted, cautious to not lose the credibility of his theory.

Y/n raised a brow, "alright, so who is it?" she asked. She wanted to bypass the bullshit.

"There is a group of strong people who terrorize in order to achieve whatever they most desire," he explained, "they desire everything and yet, desire nothing."

Y/n looked at him weirdly.

Kurapika sighed knowing that Y/n was losing his train of thought, "they work closely along with other dangerous groups in the country, mostly arms dealers or flesh collectors."