[Chapter 22] - The Doctor

The storm had finally passed. The winds were calm and the rain had stopped. The sun rose on the horizon revealing the darkness of the night.

The building had been cleared. No trace of their presence, nor the bodies, and to Kurapika's request, Y/n and Kurapika had parted ways.

Y/n couldn't help but notice a difference in him, and it wasn't because of Linssen's death. She could tell that something had changed about him, but she couldn't quite place it.

Kurapika sat behind his desk, his head leaning back on his chair and he sighed. There was a harsh ring on the wooden desk, a stain left by the glass cup filled with whatever choice of liquor his hand decided to grab first.

Kurapika pulled himself forward to stare down at the little black notebook spread out in front of him. His fingers lined the page and found its way to four words written jaggedly across the neat lines.

"Melody... Basho..." Linssen whispered in Kurapika's ear, and with a final breath, Linssen uttered a string of words Kurapika could only make out as, "Zoldyck doctor."

Written in bold on his notebook were the words, "Zoldyck doctor?"

Kurapika's mind had been stirring ever since. What could he have meant by those final words?

Kurapika raised the cold metal glass in the air, a solemn toast to Linssen. He took a small sip and placed it back on the desk. Now, there was no time to sit around.

Kurapika turned on his computer, navigating the Hunter database. He was on in a minute, mouse hovering the search bar.

Kurapika thought back to the day he and Y/n went to go inspect Togari's corpse. The name of the woman seemed to twist on his tongue. He replayed the conversation in his head and finally he remembered.

In the bar he typed Kiriko Moran. He pressed the enter key and waited as the database scanned through every piece of information it had stored. When the page finally loaded, Kurapika shut his eyes in frustration. The page was empty, no results of the woman existed.

A dead end.

If Linssen used the last of his strength to tell him something rather than plead for help, it had to be important.

Kurapika's finger rimmed the edge of the glass, deep in thought. Kurapika didn't get to speak to Linssen properly that night, other than order him to flee. Maybe if they had more time to talk...

Kurapika thought of asking Melody and Basho, but the fact that Linssen muttered their names could only make him wonder if he was attempting to warn him about them. So for now he wouldn't ask unless he needed to.

He thought of asking Killua, but then again, the same problem arose. If it was a warning, then it wouldn't be a good idea for the Zoldyck family to learn about his inquiries.

With further thought, Kurapika decided on the one option that he knew wouldn't harm him in anyway.

He picked up his phone and dialled a number that he hadn't contacted in a while. It rang only once before the other line picked up.

"Kurapika? Where have you been?" The voice yelled.

"... hey Leorio."

"Is that all you have to say to me?"

"Sorry I've been gone for so long," Kurapika sighed.

"You better be sorry! I was worried about you."

"... can I ask you a question?"

Leorio paused and the call went silent. Kurapika drummed his fingers against his glass, the soft ringing making a light melody.

Leorio cleared his throat, "... sure," he said hesitantly.