[Chapter 4] - Rising Tension

Kurapika's apartment door swung open, revealing a dark and unmoving space. A place where both space and time could be lost if you weren't careful. The clouds, that which peaked from the windows, covering the moonlight, could only aid in settling the dark atmosphere. This wasn't unfelt by the two partners, whose mood, too had gone dark.

The shell of a corpse of the former bright and cheery Togari found it's way embedded into both of their minds. It was a picture that would never seem to dissipate from their minds. Had Y/n not focused on the bustling city through the car window, she would have come to sickness. If Kurapika had not kept his hands firmly gripped on the wheel, he too would have come to sickness, recalling unwanted memories of his past.

Though the car ride was unsettling for them both, it remained a quiet ride, with not a sound to be bounced off the car windows. A sense of comfort was brought when the only audible call was the tune of the velvet smooth roar of the engine.

The sense of comfort was short-lived as they were thrown back into reality, the dark mood creeping in. The two partners entered the apartment. Y/n threw herself on the L-shaped couch. She sighed in bliss, "I love this couch," she said in an attempt to brighten the mood. The couch hugged her body, a feeling she nestled into.

Kurapika scoffed at her actions. He threw his car keys on the obsidian kitchen counter. The keys clacked as they hit the cool surface. "This is just great. Hey, let me see the bullet," he said, now turning his attention to the girl sprawled out on his couch. His tone was cold. It seems her attempt to lighten the mood failed to succeed.

"Yeah, sure," she reached in her pocket to pull out the plastic bag containing the bullet. Kurapika walked over to her. He sat down alongside her curled form.

After a few moments of Y/n attempting to grab the bullet from her ill-fitting pockets, her eyes shot up.

The always passionate and free-spirited girl was reduced to a wide-eyed mess in a moment. She was never good at hiding her emotions.

Kurapika took notice of her change in expression, "what?" he asked.

When one is guilty of an action they had no intention of performing, it sheaths on additional weight. One's actions, if not careful, can reveal the simple truth whether intentional or not. Humans may lie, but the eyes can not.

Y/n befell prey to the victim of human nature when she brought her hand out of her pocket empty, rubbing the back of her head, "uhh." She paused, looking over to him with worried eyes.

Kurapika felt his whole body freeze in an instant. The moment her attitude shifted, he realized just what happened.

"No..." his words trailed. There was no way she lost the one important piece of evidence they had. She wasn't as adept as he, but she couldn't be that foolish. She had connections with the Zoldyck family after all. They don't just let anyone live after they're caught. So, she must have some ounce of aptitude or responsibility, "where is it Y/n?" His eyes tore into her own. The tension grew between the two.

Y/n sat up from her slumped position, "you see the thing is..." she fumbled with her hands, avoiding eye contact.

Kurapika's head fell the slightest bit, his bangs flowing ever so gently over his eyes. The air seemed to still and the ever-moving city seemed to stop in that unsettling apartment window.

Y/n, without thinking, moved forward in his direction. When she got closer, she was able to partially see through his bangs, peering into his eyes.

"Y/n..." he called with a cold voice, his dark grey eyes staring back her own.