[Chapter 24] - For the Last Time *

Y/n had a sick feeling in her stomach, and she knew it had nothing to do with the way they sped back to Kurapika's office. She knew exactly why.

She tried to steady herself, but the wobbling of her legs refused her. It was like she was trapped at sea, waiting to be devoured by merciless sharks.

Y/n held herself against the wall, trying to focus on the grooves travailing down the hallway. Her fingers traced the lines, hoping to ease the feeling she knew all too well.

It had been well past four hours since they had returned with Kiriko, and the woman made no move to speak.

Y/n's stomach churned thinking about what they were doing to get Kiriko to release information — but she knew them too well.

Melody was a kind-hearted soul, and Y/n often wondered why she had joined the mafia. She didn't quite fit the part.

Basho was spacey and didn't quite care about much, but he was a stand-up guy. He always had a light-hearted aura that would damper any tense mood.

Kurapika she knew the most. She could agree he was kind and very passionate, but there was something hiding itself beneath the surface. Something hostile, that she had yet to uncover.

But they would never harm someone defenseless, right?

But then again, did she know them as well as she thought? Kurapika killed three members of the Phantom Troupe.

Y/n folded over herself, gripping the edges of her shirt. It creased under her palms. She stayed like that for a moment, lest everything in her stomach come churning out.

After she was sure she wouldn't be sick, Y/n slowly peeled herself off the floor, planting both feet firmly on the ground.

She hadn't stepped foot in the room they held her in. She didn't want to. She feared the sight would be too much for her, but she couldn't stop this nagging in her brain to go see Kiriko. She needed to stop whatever was happening.

Y/n pushed herself forward to the small room at the end of the hallway. The door was closed, the room sealed away from her view.

There was a sickening silence from behind the door.

It made her want to step back and return to the outdoors where she could breathe. This was the last thing she wanted, she never planned for anything to go this way. Although, she never planned to be working with Kurapika either. She would've done everything her own way.

Y/n grabbed hold of the handle, twisting it with force as she pushed open the door. She silently hoped it would alert them of her presence.

Y/n closed her eyes. In her mind, she could see the scene before her. Blood dripped from Kiriko's face as she sat tied to a chair, unable to move — but when she opened her eyes, she was met with something different.

As Y/n had guessed, they had Kiriko tied to a chair, but she was clean. The only thing painted on her face was the look of boredom. Her long light brown hair trailed over her face.

Kiriko's eyes traveled to the loud forceful entry. Her eyes remained bored, but there was a wild spark now present.

"Y/n you're here," Kurapika said.

Y/n looked over to the side of the small room. Kurapika was pressed up against the wall, his arms crossed over his chest. Melody and Basho sat on a couple of chairs beside him.

"I need to talk to you," was all he said as he led her out of the room.

Y/n looked back at Kiriko. The woman gave her a small smile, but Kurapika quickly shut the door behind them, leaving Melody and Basho in there with her alone.