[Chapter 20] - Silain

☽ ✧ ☾

4 years ago...

Y/n sat at the edge of the port, swinging her feet over a large drop into the water. The dark river could swallow her whole and she would never be found. The waves crashed against the tall concrete separating her from dry land and an untimely end.

The waves lifted their hands as if trying to pull her in. Though, the river already had her. It called her from Meteor City to Yorknew City.

It had been a year since Y/n and Togari had made it to the city. She turned sixteen and everything in her life seemed so calm. Even the struggles she and Togari encountered seemed so trivial compared to everything she left behind. All the hardships and pain were distant in her mind.

Nothing could go wrong anymore.

She sighed leaning into the palm of her hand. She winced at the pressure. She looked down at her hands and noticed the burning red color of her skin. The rusted port ladders would be the end of her palms.

"You could fall," a girl said sitting down beside Y/n, and Y/n almost did fall at the shock of the new presence.

She approached so silently that even Y/n hadn't been able to sense her approach.

Y/n went still. She said nothing and continued to look down into the water, glancing ever so often at the girl sitting beside her.

Like the melting wax of a lit candle, the girl's pale skin shone under the warm light of the sun. Her deep black hair made it more frighteningly so. Something off about the girl. Her presence sent Y/n on edge - as if her body was trying to warn her. As if it knew exactly the danger the girl posed.

"I won't," Y/n said. "I come here often."

The girl smiled. "I know."

How did she know?

Y/n could feel the growing urge to run away eating at her brain.

"You always look so peaceful," she said. "So I thought I'd try to see what you're seeing."

Y/n's eyebrows narrowed. "What do you mean?"

"Well, when I look at this river all I see is water. What do you see?"

Y/n stayed quiet for a moment. "Water."

The girl hummed. "I don't believe you, but okay."

Y/n watched as the girl relaxed into her palms, watching the waves crash as Y/n had been doing before. The girl was calm - and it frightened her.

"What's your name," she asked.

Y/n remained quiet.

The girl gave her a soft smile. "My name's Silain. You can call me Sil."

Again, Y/n said nothing.

"You're not very trusting are you?"

Y/n laughed but stopped.

Silain sighed sweetly, "so she can express herself."

Y/n went silent again.

"Ahh well," Silain said getting up. "Have fun watching the water mystery girl."