Fishing and Growling

It's been about two weeks since I arrived in Encanto, and every day has been amazing. While most days are spent helping people in town, everyone gets days off to relax or do whatever they want to. According to Bruno, it wasn't always like that. He told me about how Señora Alma was so afraid to loose her home, family and the miracle that she pushed everyone to their limits and beyond. It was so bad they lost their Gifts for a few months. I can understand her fear, having lost my home to a fire in my childhood. Today is my day off, and I'm in the kitchen with Julieta and Bruno. Julieta wants to make something different for dinner.

"You know what we haven't had in a long time? Some good Cazuela de Mariscos!" Bruno tells Julieta. She has fresh clams and shrimp, but not swordfish.

"Well, are you going to go fish for it?" She asks him with a grin. Bruno smiles and runs off to grab a fishing rod. Julieta smiles, then gives me a look. "Why don't you join him?" She asks.

"I'm not a fan of fishing. Besides, Bruno must be tired of me hanging around him." I sigh. Seems like every day, everything that needed my help also needed Bruno's help too. Poor man must be tired of me being up his ass. Julieta chuckles, then shakes her head as she hands me a large icebox.

"Why not ask if he'd like the company? Worst he can say is no." She smiles. I have a funny feeling, but shrug it off and leave the kitchen to find Bruno coming down the stairs with his rod. I hold up the icebox and smile.

"Mind if I tag along?" I ask him.

"I don't mind, but I only have one fishing rod." He tells me. I tell him it's ok, I'm not a fan of fishing itself. I just wanna come along to relax by the river and keep him company. "I'd like that. Let's go!" He takes my free hand and leads he way. We walk to the river in companionable silence, and I can't help but see how pretty the woods are. We get to the river, and I pick a comfy spot to lay down at. The sun is shining, the breeze is comfortably warm, and the sound of the water relaxing. I lay there for some time, watching clouds roll by through the leaves of the trees. Every now and then I hear the whizz of the fishing reel.

I sit up to ask Bruno how he learned how to fish, but the sight before me makes me forget what I was going to ask. Bruno has left his ruana, as I've been told his poncho is called, and his shirt on the shore, leaving him bare chested in the sunlight. He's lean, with a small belly. He has a light dusting of chest hair and a happy train that disappears into the waist of his pants. His pant legs are rolled up into shorts to keep them dry, showing off some strong calf muscles.

I feel my heart skip a beat or two at the sight before me, and I start scolding the traitorous organ. Not only is he twice my age, but after Preston, I can't trust who my heart sees as a potential lover. I sigh and try to remember what I wanted to ask him. Suddenly he exclaims, having finally gotten a fish to take his bait. I watch him reel it in, the lean muscles of his arms flexing. He catches a huge swordfish, and calls out to me while proudly holding it up.

"Nice catch! Looks big enough for the whole family!" I call back, clapping and smiling. He places it in the icebox, and goes back out to catch another. As I watch him fish, I try to not think about just how handsome he is, and surprisingly strong given how lean he is. I hug my legs and rest my chin on my knees. I hear footsteps behind me, and turn to find Luisa coming out of the trees. I smile and say hi as she joins me in the shade.

"Did Tío Bruno catch anything yet?" She asks. I tell her about the huge swordfish he caught and she smiles. We watch Bruno in the water, smiling as he fishes. "You know, I don't recall ever seeing Tío Bruno this happy before." Luisa mentions.

"Really? It does seem he likes fishing. I don't see the appeal, but to each his own." I sigh, laying back on the grass.

"I mean, he seems really happy with you here. Papa and Mirabel told me about the first day you were here. Tío Bruno has never been firm about something in his life, according to Papa. Also, I've never seen him spend as much time with anyone as he does you. Si puedo ser honesta, creo que el te ama." Luisa tells me. I remind her that I can't understand Spanish and she sighs. She opens her mouth to say something, but is cut off by Bruno's yelp. Apparently, he has a big one and is struggling to catch it. I jump up and race out to the river, getting behind him and wrapping my arms around his waist.