The Calm Before the Storm

It's been a month and a half since Bruno's vision, and I have true hope we're going to not only survive, but win this coming fight. Barricades have been built to funnel attackers to the main square in town, reinforced so they can't be knocked down and sanded smooth so they can't be climbed. Camilo, Riley and Leo have thoroughly tested them. In the town square, Leo has been teaching people how to fight. Every day he has drills and sparing matches.

Today, Dolores and I are helping to gather extra food to store at Casita. Both to feed those hiding and to keep it out of the hands of the enemy. I find myself needing to take more water breaks than normal recently. I've also been nauseous, but thankfully haven't puked my guts out. I can't let a cold stop me from helping. I'm on a water break with Dolores, sitting in a shady alleyway. She seems distracted by something.

"Lores? You ok?" I ask, gently touching her shoulder. She turns her head slightly, like she's subconsciously lining up her hearing power, then squeaks. She looks up at me with wide eyes. I raise an eye row as she looks down towards my stomach. "Dolores, you're acting strange. Do you need a real break?" I ask her, my eyebrows furrowed in worry. She kneels down in front of me, then places her ear right against my lower belly. She holds me still, and I'm just standing there awkwardly. I ask again of she's ok, but she just shushes me. She moves her ear around my stomach, searching for something. She squeaks again, and looks up at me in shock.

"Rose... I heard three heartbeats!" She whispers. My eyes widen in shock, and my jaw drops. I shake my head and whisper a no way, and she nods, "Yes way. Three rapid heartbeats, inside you. Tía, you're pregnant!" She smiles. I sit down in shock. There's no way!

"No way. I can't.... I'm unable to... Three heartbeats!?" I look at her in shock. She tells me to stay right here as she runs for Julieta. I think back, and realize I haven't gotten my period this month. It would explain why I feel tired and nauseous. I look down at my stomach, nothing betraying the fact that three lives are forming within. Leo was right. After a while, I hear running footsteps and look up to see Dolores, Julieta, and Alma rushing to me.

"Rose! Dolores said you needed us. What's wrong?" Alma asks as Julieta kneels next to me, looking for an injury.

"I didn't tell them why. That's your news to share." She smiles. I look between the three women, and take a deep breath.

"Dolores said she heard... Heartbeats. I... I'm..." I trail off, placing my hands on my belly. It takes them a moment, but both Alma and Julieta gasp and cover their mouths.

"Heartbeats? More than one?" Julieta asks. I nod, then hold up three fingers. Alma gasps again, then hugs me tightly.

"Mija, you have made me very happy! I will do all I can to help you, having had triplets myself! Three more grandkids!!!" Alma cry's out in joy. Julieta tells me to follow her back to Casita, and tells Alma and Dolores to not tell anyone the news. We get back without running into the family, and she brings me to the kitchen. She starts making tea and asks if I've had any symptoms. I tell her about the nausea and fatigue, but nothing else. She nods, adding a few herbs to the tea.

"Drink. You'll feel better." She says gently, handing me a cup of the tea once it's done. I take a sip, feeling better and calmer. After a few more sips, Julieta looks worried. "You do know what else this means, right?" She asks. I shake me head and she sighs, "There's no way Bruno or any of the family are going to let you fight." I pause, knowing she's right. Right now, the ones who will be hiding in Casita are anyone who's under 20 years old, the elderly, anyone too scared to fight, and pregnant women. Julieta will be staying in Casita to make her healing food for after the battle.

"We won't be able to keep this a secret until after, can we?" I ask.

"Nope, and Bruno would be furious to learn you purposely kept this secret just to fight. I know you want your revenge, but it's not just you anymore." She tells me. I sigh, knowing she's right.