CHAPTER 23

I peeped outside and it was almost dark. The glass door showed my hazy reflection, nervously standing in a printed cotton dress that just brushed my knees. My hand reached for the scrunchie that held my hair into a bun and gently pulled the band off to let them loose. I ran fingers through the wavy cascade but with a sudden change of mind, I started gathering them back into a bun again. I was acting crazy.

Julie, who was passing by with a tray of eatables, stopped by me, "No, No Miss Thakkar. Leave them down, you look prettier. You should do it more often."

She walked away.

I let my hair be, only to start restlessly pacing around the entrance area. I felt giddy, excited and nervous, all at once. This had been my behavioural pattern for past one week and everybody including the cafe staff and my friends were used to it by now.

Drishti entered the cafe, "Oh! Is it that time of the day already?" She looked at the wall clock and turned to me with a knowing smile, "Yes it is!"

"Shut-up!" I punched her shoulder.

"What?" She rubbed her shoulder, "You think we haven't noticed your painted nails, waxed legs and pretty outfits that have replaced your baggy t-shirts?!"

I rolled my eyes and she walked away to the kitchen.

Just when I thought that I was left to pace around in peace, Kavya barged in through the same door.

"Omi!" She grinned and looked around the occupied tables, "Is he here yet? I think he is running late today."

"Why is everybody picking on it!" I groaned, "Leave me alone!"

She circled me in a slow motion, "You're doing a goob job on yourself. Seven days and you still haven't given up on being lady-like. The maximum you have ever gotten through is three days. I am surprised!"

"Where are Zalak and Naina?" I asked ignoring her remark.

"Zalak is at the Designers' for the wedding dresses and Naina is on a strict house arrest because Aryan is back from the office early today."

"Good. I can use some cut-back on the constant commentary about my so called lovestruck-teenager behaviour." I gave her a meaningful look, "Which is NOT at all true!"

Kavya dug into her purse and pulled out a fancy sleek tube, "All you lack is some lip-gloss to set those lips going. Come here."

She came closer while opening that tube and I stepped back, "No!"

"Come on Omanah!" She cornered me against the wall, "Only a little. It is a nude shade- hardly visible."

"I said no." I said covering my mouth as she tried aiming the tiny brush for my lips, "Besides why would I apply it in the first place if it is not even visible?"

"Don't be a baby Omanah!" She struggled with pulling my hands from over my lips, "It won't hurt you!"

"Kavya!" Our little hassle amused the customers around, "For the last time--"

The door of the cafe opened and the man I had been waiting for for the entire day walked in. Kshitij was in dark brown trousers and a white shirt which had its first few buttons undone. A similar brown suit jacket and a tie carelessly hung from his arm.

His eyes met mine for a brief second and they lit up with that familiar warmth. He strode towards the same table near the reading nook and tossed his jacket and tie on it before settling down. Julie hurried to take his order and scurried away to the kitchen soon.

I took my seat at the cashier counter and Kavya pulled a chair next to me. This had been my routine for past one week- since the day we had had our conversation about Sanjana. Every evening Kshitij came to the cafe for a cup of coffee after his day at the office. He would quietly spend an hour or so with that cup alone- sometimes share a word or few with Julie or my magic beans and then leave. I never asked them what they talked about with him.