CHAPTER 13

"I would kill to have a waist like you. Where exactly do all your chocolate bars go?!" Miral exclaimed.

I turned around in front of the full length mirror to have a look at myself. The golden blouse with a  deep, laced back ended right below my bust. A white long-skirt( chaniya) complementing it had a thick golden border around the flair. I helplessly tugged at the dupatta that was falling in front to cover my scandalously exposed waist. The design of the outfit screamed 'Miral'!

I shuddered as water-drops from my freshly washed hair dripped on my bare back. Gathering the wet curls forward, I let them carelessly fall on a single side.

The pithi ceremony was to begin in a while and Miral was ready in a plain cream Saree with a yellow border. This particular occasion didn't demand for a bride to don her bests because soon the ladies of the house were going to rub turmeric paste on her face, hands and legs.

"Wait till Kshitij lays his eyes on you." She fanned herself dramatically, "He is going to need all of his self-control today!"

My feeble attempt to give a dismissal look was over-shadowed by my scarlet red cheeks.

"What's going to make me need all of my self-----" Kshitij's voice died midway.

He was standing at the door in a dark blue suit paired with a black tie and black shoes. His usually tousled hair were neatly combed. I could see his clean-shaven jaw working, his adam's apple moving up & down his throat as his eyes travelled all over me. I nervously fidgeted under his gaze. 

"Kshitij." Miral clasped her hands delighted, "Good that you are here."

She got up from the bed and went to Kshitij who was still rooted at the spot near the door. She closed the door and pushed Kshitij towards me, at the dressing table. He halted a step away from me and I could already feel myself succumbing to his intoxicating cologne. 

I composed myself and spoke into a bare whisper, "How is your bruise doing?"

He shoved his hands in his trousers' pockets, "Transitioning into some confusing shades of blue or green, I'm not sure yet."

"Don't you two look absolutely adorable!" Miral interrupted, "Pass me your phone Kshitij. This is definitely worth a photo shot."

"We don't have time for all this, Miral. I still have a few things to help with before the ceremony starts." I started walking away from Kshitij.

Kshitij's light but electrifying grip on my elbow stopped me. I turned towards him as he gave a light tug towards himself. I gave in to his command, retreating back to him. 

"She is right." He looked into my eyes, "A photo won't hurt."

He passed his phone to Miral but his eyes didn't leave mine. My breath hitched as his warm fingers around my waist pressed the cold metal of the delicate ornamental chain I had tied around my belly. He looked down at me with an unreadable expression which set my heart wild.

I could hear my every  ragged breath along with the pounding heart and I wondered if he was aware of the effect his intimate touch had on me. I was almost oblivious to the click of the camera and some of the Miral's words that followed by. His arm unwrapped itself from around me and the trance broke. I took a deep breath, terrified of these feelings.

"-- some office meeting with a client. Since my elder brother is on his honeymoon and I am already present in Ahmedabad at the moment, dad wants me to go." Kshitij's voice grew louder than my heartbeats, " I will be back by evening."

I nodded still feeling a little lost, trying to grasp on every word falling out of his mouth. Absorbing the information, I realized just how little I knew about the man who was making me swoon and knocking me out of my senses by his mere proximity. I had just discovered that he had an elder sibling, let alone the fact that he was married and on a honeymoon.