CHAPTER 3

Chapter 3 is dedicated to SpoiltWhipperSnapper :*

Still clueless on what to do next, I pressed the cup of hot chocolate against my forehead. It had been five days to my birthday and I was supposed to leave for Ahmedabad in other five. The last few days were all about coming up with excuses to tackle Miral's interrogation as to why I can't get 'Kshitij' to her wedding. 

I had spent hours talking to her on the phone arguing about what a mess it would be if someone in the house realized that I was coming over with my boyfriend(fake, of course). But that stubborn female was too determined to catch my lie (well, technically Drishti's lie).

"You got me in this mess so now you'll be the one rescuing me out of it!" I put the mug down and stared at Drishti, "And, what do you decide on my made-up boyfriend's name? Kshitij! Same name as the guy who stood me up that day!"

"I still don't see my mistake. Your cousin's evil mouth needed a shut up and I was more than happy to assist to the noble cause." She shrugged before sipping on her cup, "About the name- it is just that it was the name that was on top of my mind."

That's Drishti. All she believed in was-- You don't sob over something. You get up and get even! She is that one friend in every group who cheats in cards and board games no matter how alert you are. It wouldn't be wrong to say that she had a mind of a devil to scheme around. Yeah, she comes out as the nasty one but then again, isn't that a relative term? Of course she was using her scheming mind to shut Miral but it could be considered as a kind deed for my moment of weakness that night irrespective of the fact that it chose to blew up in my face later! 

"Well, your noble cause had a few consequences which I'm left to deal with." I sighed.

Resuming back to my dose of chocolate, I gazed at the infinite blue sky stretching beyond the balcony railing. Sitting on a patio chair in a balcony at Naina's place, we were pondering on my current issue. It is one of the many perks of running a cafe- you have a whole lot of free time to complicate your life and then resolve it again! 

"You're just over reacting." Drishti rolled her eyes.

"Really? She wants some Kshitij at her wedding and I swear she knows I am or rather you were  lying through your teeth and I don't have any boyfriend. You just gave her that one moment on a silver platter that she has been waiting for all her life-- watching me embarrass myself in front of her!" I whined, "She wouldn't put up with any of my excuses."

"I don't get you two sisters." Naina laughed, "She hates you for being an ideal daughter of the house while you reciprocate to her hatred because you think that life is too nice to her even after her easy-going attitude."

"It is just that I don't see any justice here. I wouldn't say that I'm the most ideal person but I always opted for what was logically and morally correct. Scoring enough to see myself through school and then going for a professional course of Architecture for a secured future irrespective of the fact that I had a different dream altogether. Never sneaked out of the house, never tried liquor or anything that is considered even remotely immoral." I murmured.

Both of them looped their arms around me.

"And there she was all along- not caring, partying away, sneaking out with her boyfriends,  somehow crawling her way to some college and managing a random two year course. How does Karma pay her? By getting her a nice guy to marry and settle down happily without a single hiccup!" I shrugged, "sometimes I doubt whether I'm the ideal sister or the spineless one who was just too scared to try anything in her life.... who didn't  even have enough guts to pursue writing over architecture just because it wasn't promising enough!"