CHAPTER 29

I occupied one of the tables at the cafe on a slow weekday evening. I stared at my silent phone for most of the time and occasionally looked up every time the cafe door swung. I hadn't had any success in both the places because the person I wanted to talk to didn't want to call or show his face to me.

Kavya banged her fist on the table, "Just call him already!!"

I gave a casual splutter, "I don't care. If he doesn't want to talk to me then it's fine with me."

She rolled her eyes, "What are you two fighting about? I haven't seen Kshitij in the past one week and I guess that's the longest he has gone without being around you."

"It's nothing." I said weakly.

But the truth was that it was scaring me now.

"Fine. Don't tell us. Just sort out whatever it is because at the end of the day, both of you are doing nothing but torturing yourselves." She got up from the chair, "I'm out of here. I've a meeting with a client."

She slid the purse on her shoulder and walked out of the cafe. I once again let myself drown in my solitude. As much as I wanted to make up with Kshitij, I still believed that I was right. If we were to move on in our relationship then it wasn't going to be a cake walk all over. Both of us had to step out of our comfort zone someday.

The bottom line was I wasn't going to call him. No matter what!

The glass door squeaked open again but it was only some woman in her late twenties. She was in khaki pants and an elegant white blouse. Her long silky hair brushed till the small of her back and a string of pearls graced her neck.

She looked around the scarcely crowded cafe and caught hold of Julie who was on her way to the kitchen. They exchanged a few words and Julie pointed in my direction at the end of their conversation. The woman nodded and made her way to my table.

"Omanah Thakkar?" She asked reluctantly.

"Yes?" I sat up straight and gestured her to take a chair on the same table.

She gingerly sat down and looked at me, "We have never met before. I'm Sanjana Gulati."

Sanjana Gulati- The name had been in my life for a while but I had never gotten a chance to put a face to it. I had mentally practiced and prepared myself for the day I would meet her but it happening today wasn't in my last of the thoughts too. I felt disoriented and taken off-guard. Honestly, I wasn't in a condition to have a conversation with her at this point, when there was already a lot on my mind.

"Look, I wasn't sure if coming here was a good idea but I had to do it." She looked at me with hopeful eyes, "For my sake."

"How can I help you?" I asked awkwardly.

"No. You tell me, how can I help you?" She nervously fidgeted with her fingers, "I know something is going on between you and Kshitij."

"How is Kshitij?" I couldn't help but ask. I missed him.

"He and Jay have been in Delhi for the past few days. They had some meetings with the Board of Directors for Vivaan's business venture." She smiled.

I nodded and looked at her, "Sanjana, why are you here?"

She took a deep breath, "Neither you or Kshitij are ready to talk about what happened but I know that it has something to do with me, isn't it?"

I laughed weakly, "If that's what you are here for then let me tell you that I've nothing against you. I don't hate you. Kshitij and I will be fine, don't worry."