Ten

Amelia

It's been three days since I woke up in – what turned out – Marcus's place. Oh, and let me tell you how this has been going for me so far; I made up some rules when I realized that I was in danger.

Rule number one: The silent treatment. I thought – if I don't speak to him, he'll feel some type of guilt for what he did, and he'll finally let me go.

Rule number two: Hunger strike. I did not eat for the past three days so he would regret kidnapping me. I've been drinking my water from the bathroom's sink. Even though the meals he makes look absolutely delicious, I am not eating them.

Rule number three: Hold a grudge, do not get tricked. I'm not the smartest person you know. My mother calls me naïve and clueless even though I'm not that dumb. But I know if Marcus kept being nice and sweet, I'm going to believe him and forget the fact that he literally kidnapped me. So, I'm going to hold a grudge against him – whenever he's being nice... or the Marcus I got to know before all of this happened, I'll tell myself the painful truth.

Rule number four: Turn off the love emotion. This rule is self-explanatory. In these three days I've been thinking a lot... I thought about what he said, "I did this to protect you." Maybe the world's coming to an end and he's saving me from a zombie apocalypse. That's a good reason to kidnap someone for their own protection. But there isn't any zombie apocalypses. I kept thinking and thinking and the zombies are the only good reason of why he would abduct someone. Maybe he's just convincing himself that he did it to protect me, so he wouldn't feel so guilty.

So yeah, I'm turning the love emotion off.

But... I'll convince him otherwise.

I'll make him think we're okay and then try to change his mind about keeping me here.

I'll manipulate him...

I stared at my reflection in the mirror and flashed a grin that made me look stupid, but I couldn't care less.

I'm doing this.

My grin disappeared when I heard Marcus's voice asking if he may come inside. I walked out of the bathroom and stared at myself in the large mirror that is on the wall next to the bed, I took a deep breath and went to open the door.

He was standing there holding the tray of food on one hand while the other hand was holding the keys. His curls were laid messily on his forehead, hiding his birthmark. Wearing a brown hoodie with black sweats.

He flashed a smile and walked inside placing the tray of food on the small table. "There's no way I could poison you with fruits, right?" he said sarcastically. I rolled my eyes and sat on the bed while Marcus sat himself on the couch waiting for me to eat.

He got up from the couch and walked a few steps closer to the bed. "Amelia, hit me. Scream at me. Choke me. Cut me." – he let out a chuckle – "I don't know... hurt me. But please, talk to me."

When I didn't answer he turned to leave.

Amelia, now. Now is the time where you stop him and manipulate him. He wants to hear your voice so let him. He's being emotional so it'll have a better chance of working.

My God, I sound awful.

"You can stay." I let out.

Oh, dear God.

I can't handle this. I can't trick him into believing that I forgive him. I can't act like a forgave him. What was I thinking!

I breathed heavily. I can do this- no, maybe I can't, but I have to do this. I have no choice.