Twenty-Eight

Amelia

Is it crazy that I feel kind of nervous?

I know that it will be only me talking to her grave. But it makes me nervous, but also excited at the same time.

Marcus stopped the car, looking back at me with a sweet expression on his face. "I know it isn't the ideal kind of meeting your boyfriend's mom, but it's still okay, right?" I smiled, "It is."

Her grave wasn't so far from the house. It was a five minute drive. Marcus held my hand in his and started guiding me through the forest. I held onto his hand tightly, it was chilly and creepy to be honest. The animals howling didn't make it any easier.

We reached her grave,

Gloria Black

There were flowers that hadn't wilted yet. They were blue – he once mentioned that blue flowers were her favorite. And there was a small black chair. I smiled at him.

He rubbed the back of his neck coyly, "I was here a couple of days ago."

God, I love him so much.

"I'll leave you alone if you want me to. Or we could just hang out here..." I nodded. "I'll call you when I'm finished." Marcus flashed a small smile, "I'm going to be there, okay?" he pointed at a corner that's far from his mother's grave.

"Okay."

I walked closer to her grave and sat on the chair.

I don't know what I'm supposed to say. I've never done this before. I inhaled deeply. I'll just imagine her sitting in front of me. It might make it easier.

"Hi, I'm Amelia..." I awkwardly started.

Just imagine her in front of you, imagine her asking you questions.

I smiled as if she's sitting in front of me and shaking my hand. "Marcus told me a lot about you." I imagined her say.

"Marcus told me a lot about you too."

"You're his hero." I got silent for a bit.

"He really misses you... he dreams about you a lot."

"I wish I could meet you."

"You're always on his mind. He thinks that you blame him for not helping you – but I think deep down he knows that you don't."

I chuckled at myself for getting teary eyed.

"His life revolves around you. With everything he does, he thinks about you first." "You're his everything." I sniffled any tears away. "It's one of the reasons why I love him so much."

I started fiddling with my fingers. "Please like me." I snorted.

"I really love him. He's my everything." "At first I promised myself not to fall for him. But I did, and it's the best thing that ever happened to me."

"I've never told this to anyone – but I think he's the one. I think I want to be with him for the rest of my life."

"He started talking about babies today. I'm not ready to have babies yet, or even get married. I just know that if I decide to do these things – it would be with him."

"He said that he gets his birthmark from you. Thank you for giving it to him – I guess." I chuckled. "I hope – if – we have kids someday, they'll be like him, and maybe get your birthmark." I inhaled deeply. Maybe I shouldn't say this...

"When his father gets arrested... he will too. And it's because of me. Because I made him promise me that he'll do it." "I didn't like him at the time, but now I do... but he doesn't break his promises, he never does."

"A part of me doesn't want his father to get arrested... because it means I'll lose Marcus."

"I'm sorry for saying that."

I inhaled deeply.

"I used to call your son Mr. Perfect because he looks perfect... but this isn't the case anymore. I mean, yeah, he's still perfect – but he's perfect because of you. Because you taught him well. He never hurts me because of you. He makes sure to say 'I love you' every day because of you. He makes delicious food because of you. He likes Sinatra because of you. He's him because of you. You're the reason he's perfect."

I didn't realize that some tears had fallen from my eyes to stain my cold cheeks. I wiped them away, trying to relax myself before Marcus could see me.

"Thank you, Amelia." Imagined her say. "Thank you for being there for him."

I stood up from the chair and walked to the corner Marcus was standing in. "Marco?" he turned around and made his way closer to me, meeting me halfway. His smile never leaving his face.

It wasn't so dark because there was a big light hung on one of the trees. I could see his face alright.

Marcus pinched my nose, "Did you cry?" he laughed.

I slapped his hand away, "Just cold."

"Uh-huh." He said, coming to wrap his arms around me. I inhaled his scent in – welcoming his hug, my arms going to the small of his back.

"You always smell like the forest." I whispered, kissing his chest through his shirt.

He chuckled, "It's because I'm always in the forest."

"I wish I could meet her."

He kissed the top of my head, "Yeah, she'd knit clothes for our kids."

I broke the hug, staring at him and how teasingly he said it. 

"Our kids that are going to be born in many-many years from now." He added.

I snorted, "Many-many years."

Marcus hummed, "Many-many years."