Twenty-Six

Amelia

I woke up to Marcus's heavy breaths and panting. He was shaking, and his hair was stuck to his forehead from his sweats. He was mumbling words that I couldn't quite catch.

I got myself closer to him – as close as I could, I held him close and tight, hoping it wouldn't be as bad as the first time I saw him like this. I planted soft kisses on his face.

"It's going to be okay." I gently spoke.

He kept moving and his panting didn't stop. For a brief second I thought I should just let him out of my embrace maybe he'll breath properly. But I didn't.

He kept trying to push me away but I held onto him.

"Marcus wake up."

He didn't wake up. He yanked me strongly off of him – I almost fell off of the bed. He started pacing back and forth, his hands rubbing his hair and face aggressively.

His pacing stopped.

He sat on the floor and his eyes were stuck on the floor. "Mama, please wake up..." he sobbed, punching the floor hard. "I need you." He whispered between his cries.

I moved from the bed to sit beside him and try to comfort him. Before I could open my mouth to say anything, he spoke again.

"Please, dad, she's all I have left." He choked on his words. "Please don't touch her." He pleaded

"She's okay." I whispered in his ear. "He didn't touch her."

He buried his face in his palms, still sobbing. "Please..."

Marcus lifted his head from his palms only to start banging his head on the wall behind us. I tried to hold him still by his shoulders, his head, trying to wake him up again. But none of it was working.

The only thing I could do was to put my hand behind his head so he wouldn't get hurt. Hear his cries getting louder and more painful. Listen to him apologizing to his mother for not saving her. His pleads for his father to stop hurting his Mama. Him blaming himself for 'not being strong enough for her'.

I found tears pooling out of my eyes by just listening to him, I couldn't imagine experiencing such a heartbreaking experience like him.

He's so brave and strong and... broken.

"Marco wake up, Baby." I wiped my cheeks with my other hand. I didn't realize that he stopped banging his head, my hand went numb after just a few seconds of placing it behind his head.

"Amelia..." he whispered, sniffling.

"Are you awake?" he sniffled again, nodding.

I pulled him into my arms, his head rested on my chest as I ran my fingers through his sweaty hair. He cried in my arms. His tears coming to stain my skin. I felt him shaking and breaking in my arms.

He looked at me, "Do you think she forgives me for not helping her?"

I wiped his tears away, "I don't think she blames you." A small smile made its way across his features, "Yeah?"

I hummed, "Yeah."

Marcus curled up in my embrace once again.

"Were you afraid of me?" he murmured.

I shook my head, even though he couldn't see it. "No. I've seen it before." He looked up, confused. "We weren't dating, it was when I slept with you downstairs."

He hummed, sending vibrations through me. "I love you, Chips."

I smiled. "I love you more, Marco."

Short chapter I know :|