Tortillera

Narrator's POV:

It was early in the morning, the sun was shining brightly, and the birds were singing. A woman can be seen inside her home humming a song as she moves around doing chores. She swept the floors, cleaned the furniture, and cooked dinner. As she sat down to eat in peace, her front door flew open, revealing a young man with black hair to his shoulders. The woman's smile turned into a frown as she looked at her childhood friend.

Mariano: Y/N! You'd never believe what happened—wow!

He yelp as a fork was thrown at him but he dodged it somehow. He looked at the silver-eye woman and laughed nervously as he realized his mistake.

Mariano: Sorry...for barging in like that...

Y/N looked at him for a moment unsurprised and sighed in defeat.

Y/N: It's fine, what did you want to tell me?

She said this while sipping her tea.

Mariano: Oh right. I'm getting married!

Y/N choked up on her tea, Mariano laughed at her reaction.

Y/N: What?!

Mariano: Yes, I'm getting married; my mother found a bride for me, and she's the most beautiful, amazing woman I've ever met.

Y/N composed herself before getting up and hugging his friend.

Y/N: I'm so happy for you Mariano!

She pulled away cupping Mariano's shoulders in anticipation.

(Y/N): So...Who exactly is the unlucky lady?

Y/N said sarcastically, Mariano rolled his eyes at her.

Mariano: It's Isabela Madrigal, you know her right?

Y/N look lost, she looked at Mariano blinking rapidly in confusion.

Y/N: Who?

Mariano looked at you dumbfounded. Did you seriously not remember who Isabela was?

Mariano: Are you serious?

Y/N: What?

Mariano: You don't remember the girl that fills the entire Encanto with beautiful and delicate flowers just like herself.

Y/N stood there with a confused look, you could literally hear the gears on her head turning.

Mariano: The girl that gave you the yellow rose that you're literally wearing on your head right now...

Y/N's confusion turn into a smiled as she remembered wearing the flower since the day it was given to her. She never really talked to the girl again she was always too busy with other things and so was the flower girl that's what she called her.

Y/N: Oh, the flower girl.

Mariano sigh, god finally, Y/N remembered her.

Mariano: Yeah...her.

Y/N: Oh...okey, good luck with the Prima Donna...

Y/N said just to tease Mariano, she sited back down eating her delicious food.

Mariano: Hey, she's not a Prima Donna!

Mariano said as he sat down next to her. Y/N looked at Mariano and, as much as she hated to admit it, she could see it in his face.

He was dense and a hopeless romantic who didn't understand romantic love, but he had so much love to offer

He was dense and a hopeless romantic who didn't understand romantic love, but he had so much love to offer. She'd never tell him that tough, she didn't want to offend his best friend. He was the only one who accepted her for who she was after all.

Y/N: Whatever you say, Mariano...

The two finally fell silent as they listened to the calming wind outside and the birds who were still singing.

Mariano: Tortillera. (Lesbian)

Y/N: Cállate.

???: Look, it's the Dyke.

???2: No way, she's too pretty to be a lesbian.

???3: She probably hasn't met the right man yet.

The whispers wouldn't stop. Y/N didn't want to hear the people talking, but that was the life she lived every day since she came out of the closet; gay slurs, guys trying to hook her up, or the ones that thought it was hot and wanted to have a threesome. It was disgusting.

Y/N: I hate this.

???: Are girls even allowed to date other girls? Shouldn't it be a boy and a girl?

Y/N : According to you, but the thought of being with a man is just...ew.

Y/N scratched her arm and started to walk faster. She was going grocery shopping because she was out of food; she usually went with Mariano, but he was at home helping his mother with something. Y/N sighed, her heart rate quickening and her hands sweating. The whispers continued, and she was so preoccupied with them that she didn't notice the person in front of her until she ran into them.

Y/N: Oh, I'm sorry...

She spoke slowly, looking up at the person she had collided with. Her cheeks were flushed with shame.

Isabela: It's all right-

Isabela cut herself off as she gazed at the shorter woman. She appeared familiar, which was confirmed when she noticed the yellow rose in her hair and her silver eyes. She'd only seen someone with silver eyes once in town, a long time ago.

Abuela and Isabela looked at the silver-eyed girl as she waved goodbye and walked away. Abuela then turned towards her granddaughter with a curious glance.

Abuela: Isabela, why did you give Y/N a yellow flower instead of the ones you make for the rest of the town?

Isabela: She was unique, and yellow roses symbolizes friendship...

She said nervously as she started playing with her braided hair.

Isabela: I'd like to be her, friend...

Isabela said embarrassed, Alma smiled at her granddaughter in amusement and nodded in approval.

Alma: Because Y/N is a kind and polite girl, I'll let you be her friend.

Isabela smiled at her Abuela, hugging her.

Unfortunately that day never came, Isabela was always too busy, and Y/N lived all the way on the other side of town. Over time, Isabela would just look at the girl play around with the other kids and grew envious of her. The silver-eye girl had so much freedom and wasn't afraid to express herself the way she wanted; she wasn't even afraid to tell the town that she liked girls...Isabela sometimes wished she was like her.