Seasonal Depression

Narrator's POV:

It's crazy how people learn to rationalize their food when they don't want to be outside.

The gray-eyed woman sat on her chair, eating vegetable soup, as she dully looked at the beautiful sky outside.

Isabela: Y/N I- I like you.

Y/N cringed at the sudden memory covering her face, trying her hardest not to cry from the guilt she felt. A sudden knock was heard, making her snap out of her guilty consciousness.

???: Hey Y/N I noticed that you haven't been in town, so I brought you some groceries.

Her eyes widen at the familiar voice. She tried to shake her negative emotions away before standing up and opening the door to see Mirabel, who was wrapped in grocery bags, trying to hold them all at once.

Mirabel:

Y/N's lips formed a thin line as she tried her hardest not to laugh, to no avail, finally letting out a well-needed laugh

Y/N: Oh, my Mirabel, here, come in, and let me help you with those.

She said, helping Mirabel carry some bags in. Mirabel groaned in relief, putting down the bags as Y/N just looked through them. A gentle smile appeared on her face before she turned to Mirabel.

Y/N: Mira You didn't have to do this for me.

She said with guilt in her voice. Mirabel stared back at her, dumbfounded, before fixing her glasses.

Mirabel: What? Of course I have to! Do you know how worried everyone has been about you?

She explained as she started to walk around frantically.

Mirabel: You haven't left your house. You haven't let Mariano in either. And you know what's the worst part?

Mirabel cupped your shoulders with a look of desperation on her face.

Mirabel: Isabela has been acting like a total b-i-t-c-h!
I swear she needs an exorcism!

Y/N's eyes widen at Mirabel's words before a look of guilt flashes through her face, and she looks away from Mirabel. The girl with green glasses noticed this as a worried frown made its way to her face.

Mirabel: Hey, are you okay, Y/N? Did you and Isabela get into a fight or something?

Y/N chews her inner lip, her eyes becoming glossy as she opens her mouth to speak, before a loud bang is heard and she is suddenly crushed in a hug.

???: Y/N, why didn't you open the door for me? I thought you had died!

Y/N: Ah, M-Mariano...

Mariano exclaimed as his eyes became glossy, hugging Y/N tighter. The woman groaned before a worried voice spoke from behind.

Mirabel: Um... Mister Mariano, you're going to kill her.

The black-haired girl stepped in, making Mariano realize his mistake before apologizing and pulling away.

Mariano: Sorry! I just- why haven't you been leaving home? Are you okay?

Y/N looked between Mirabel and Mariano, seeing their worried faces, before she smiled. She patted Mariano's shoulder in reassurance.

Y/N: Yeah, I'm fine; it's just, you know, seasonal depression.

Mariano: Well, are you feeling okay now?

Y/N looked up at Mariano, forcing a fake smile, hiding the guilt she felt every time she looked at his face.

Y/N: Mhm...

Mariano smiled before dragging her childhood friend out of the house and into town. Mirabel frowned, a worried and not-so-convinced look on her face, as she followed behind them.

Mariano and Y/N were walking through town, Mariano staring at Isabela and Y/N staring at Mirabel as she sang and danced to the children. She smiled at Mirabel, impressed at how she managed to keep up with the little ones.

Y/N: And they say she doesn't have a gift.

She noticed Mirabel approaching them as she said this.

Mirabel: Look, it's Mister Mariano!

She sang, trying to distract the kids as she grabbed Mariano's collar.

Mirabel: Hey, you can marry my sister if you want. Between you and me, she's kind of a prima donna. Yo, I've said too much, and thank you, but I really gotta go!

Mariano was confused as Y/N let out a short laugh. She wiped a fake tear from her eye and turned towards Mariano.

Y/N: Are you sure you still want to marry Isabela?

Mariano appeared even more confused by Y/N's question.

Mariano: Of course I do; she is so perfect and beautiful.

Y/N sighed, turning away from Mariano.

Y/N: She is more than beauty and perfection, but of course he wouldn't understand...

Y/N's eyes widen at her own thoughts snapping out of them to finally look at Mariano and give him a playfully grin.

Y/N: Ah yes, she is beauty, she is grace, she'll hit you with a plant in the face. (A/N: You see what I did there?)

She said this while dramatically leaning into Mariano's shoulder. Mariano laughed, bumping his hips with her in a joking manner. Y/N just chuckled back at him as she returned the gesture. She looked forward to seeing Isabela walk by. She could only see Isabela's back, but she noticed her shoulders gently bouncing. Did Isabela hear what she said and think it was funny? She smiled at the thought.

Mariano: Go talk to her.

Y/N froze in place before giving Mariano a confused look.

Y/N: Uh, What?

Mariano chuckled and just shrugged.

Mariano: Well, I don't know; she probably misses you from the way she's been glancing at you since she got here.

Y/N's face heats up before she looks back to Isabela, who was talking to Señora Rosales. Her breath caught in her throat as Isabela turned to face her. She couldn't really tell if she was looking at her, but it was obvious by the way Isabela quickly turned her face away and finally walked away. Y/N bit her lip, debating whether or not to go after Isabela. She closed her eyes and sighed, finally making a decision. She turned to Mariano with a smile.

Y/N: I'll be back, Mariano.