Rain

Narrator's POV:

Isabela watched your eyes as they scanned the book. You read it to her in a gentle and soft voice. She didn't want to look away; she wanted to look at your face for as long as she could before this tiny bubble of enjoyment burst. She was aware that her family was probably concerned, but being with you, as she heard your gentle voice dictate to her, made her feel warm and safe despite the gloomy and rainy day. Her eyes widen as you looked up from the book, slowly making eye contact with her. She expected you to tease her about it, but instead you smiled warmly at her.

Y/N: Thank you for listening to my rambling.

Isabela was stunned; she didn't know why, but you reading that book to her felt like you were reading yourself to her; after all, sexuality is a part of your identity, and she simply wanted to learn more about you.

Isabela: It's all right. It actually piqued my interest. I'd like to learn more about...you.

She said, slowly looking at you, with a sincere voice. When you looked at her with wide eyes, she realized she'd made a mistake.

Isabela: I'm referring to the book—yes, the book!

Isabela averts her gaze in embarrassment, but returns it when she hears a heartwarming laugh. She looked at you, forgetting how to breathe for a moment, your laugh was so genuine and sweet. You suddenly stood up, wiping a fake tear from your cheek.

Y/N: It's all right. I understand what you mean...

Isabela watched as Y/N stood up and returned the book to its proper place. You sigh softly and turn to face her.

Y/N: Would you like me to walk you home?

She tilted her head confused as she looked outside.

Isabela: But it's still raining...

You gave her a gentle chuckle as you looked at her.

Y/N: I'm not sure if you know this, but I adore rain.

You said making your way towards the door, Isabela stood up and followed you, waiting for you to continue.

Y/N: I've loved rain since I was a child. Mariano and I used to run around and play in the mud, or just feel the rain on our skin...

You said this as you outstretched your hand outside, letting the cold rain hit your palm. You smiled as your childhood memories flooded into your head, you slowly walked out, letting the rain hit you completely; it wasn't storming anymore, just a gentle rain.

Isabela's POV:

I observe her as she walks out into the rain, a smile on her face. I wished I could be as carefree and adventurous as she was. But I was always told as a child to be cautious about everything and was made to follow the path that my Abuela wanted me to take. Though there were times when I wished to stray from the path but I wasn't much of a rebel. I would easily put those thoughts aside and go on doing whatever I was supposed to do.

My thoughts were cut short when she turned around to face me.

Y/N: Have you ever danced in the rain before?

I shook my head making her smile brightly.

Y/N: Then come on, let's try it.

Isabela: I don't know...I doubt my abuela would approve of that-

Y/N: Come on aren't you sick of being perfect? Just for today, try something new! Let's have some fun in the rain! Plus...

Her smile becomes mischievous as she extends her hand to me.

Y/N: She doesn't have to know...

I hesitated at first, but as I looked at her and her warm smile, I couldn't let this opportunity pass me by.

Isabela: She doesn't have to know...

I muttered under my breath as I gave up and took her hand in mine; she immediately drew me towards her. A shiver ran down my spine as I felt the cold rain on my skin. As I danced with her in the rain, I let go of my inhibitions and let the rain wash away my fears. Apart from the rain, our laughter was the only sound I could hear. I was having a great time dancing with her in the rain.

My body however decided to betrayed me in one of those steps my foot slipped and without thinking I held onto Y/N making her go down with me. I felt my back hit the ground and before I could process what just happened I felt a weight on top of me. I let out a quiet groan as mud got on my face and I couldn't open my eyes.

Isabela: Well this is lovely good thing she isn't heavy. She's actually quite light I wonder if I could lift her up?

Y/N: Are you okay?

Y/N's soft voice said as I suddenly feel a soft hand touching my cheek and wiping the mud off my face. I finally managed to open my eyes as my breath stopped at how close Y/N' face is to mine. The light smell of lemon grass coming from her and her comforting smile were causing a very strange sentiment inside of me.

Isabela: I-I'm sorry...

I muttered awkwardly she tilted her head confused but then smile.

Y/N: Its fine, plus I landed on top of you.

Isabela: Yeah, but Im basically the one who pulled you down with me and now you clothes are all dirty.

Y/N: Isabela this is my gardener outfit it basically gets dirty everyday.

Isabela: Your a gardener?

Y/N: You gotta be a lot of things when your village doesn't like you around.

She said with a laugh as she stood up. I know it was supposed to be funny but I couldn't help but frown.

Isabela: She probably can't even be on the village without getting call names.

Y/N: You know my plan was to take you home safe and here you are all muddy.

She said as she helped me stand up.

Isabela: It's okay, I think I'm starting to like the rain...