1.2

Jaxton

"Never put your finger on the trigger unless you're ready to fire. You'll accidentally kill us all." Jay said from behind me.

"Who said it would be an accident?" I held a small pistol in my hand, aiming at one of the makeshift targets Jay had set up behind the warehouse.

"Shoot when you're ready." When I was ready, I aimed, I shot, I missed.

Guns weren't my thing, I've realised.

"We'll practice more or maybe you should just leave the guns to the professionals." Sure I had used one before, although I wouldn't have said I was any good.

Quite terrible actually but it's fine. I've had some lucky shots I guess.

"Don't worry, bud. You'll be a pro by the end of it." He said, his hand slapping against my back.

"Maybe." I said as he took the gun away from me after putting the safety lock on.

"Still getting those text messages?" Jay asked while we made our way back into the warehouse.

"Yeah, still don't have a clue who it is." I sighed. It's obviously someone we know since only Mason and I get the messages.

"I'm sure we'll find out soon enough, we have to. Can't have whoever mystery number is ruining our plans." Jay slumped down in his usual chair, running his hands through his rough hair.

"Have you tracked the number?" One of the men asked from the side of the room.

"Yeah, all I know is that they're in the next city over from us." No name, no age, no nothing.

"A burner phone maybe?"

"Could be, I don't recognise the number." Jay snatched my phone from my hands and searched over the messages, looking for some kind of clue.

He hummed and shook his shoulders. "Nope, not a clue bud."

"I'm not bothered by it, probably some punk kid playing a prank." That was a lie but no one needs to know that.

I ain't scared, no way!

Not a chance...

——

"I never see you home anymore, my son." My mum said, sitting across from me with a cup of coffee in her hand.

She doesn't even like coffee.

"Because when I am home, you're at work."

"Someone has to pay the bills around here." She teased and I instantly felt bad. I helped out when I could.

One day she won't have to pay a thing, I'll take care of her.

"I'm just kidding, Jaxton." She laughed. "I love my job. One day you'll find something you love just as much."

I already did, it was a someone.

"What have you been up to anyways and why haven't I seen my other son Mason around in a couple days?"

I went on to tell her about our tattoos, which she cried after seeing my bear. I just know she would love Mason's but hate that it was on his face. I wouldn't ever tell her about our criminal plans, she'd start a riot and lock us in my room until we had learnt our lessons.

"You tell that boy to come over right now." How could I tell my mother no?

"Jax?" Mason's voice spoke through the phone.

"Young man! You get your butt over here now!" Mama Sarah sternly said and of course Mason obeyed and was over in under thirty minutes.

As soon as he walked through the door my mother already had her hands on his face, inspecting the tattoo so closely.

I laughed, Mason's face of shock was too funny.

"Uh, am I in trouble?" He asked and mum paused. She stared into that poor kids soul before wrapping him in a hug.

"Mason! It's so beautiful but did you have to get it on your face? Gosh." She tsked and let him go.

"It's a perfect spot!" He defended.

It did look quite nice there but don't tell him I said that.

"What am I going to do with you two?" She sighed, shaking her head.

"Why did you come to dinner the other night huh?" She questioned so carefully.

Mason's face was red.

"I was at my friends house for dinner."

"His lady friend!" I added with a smirk. He sent a look my way and I knew my work was done.

"A lady! Come come, tell me all about it." She pushed Mason down on the couch and sat right next to him.

"I was there to fix her stairs, her landlord wouldn't do it and no one in the building would pay so I— here, I took a picture!" He chimed, pulling out his phone to show a picture of his proudest work.

Sarah looked proud, she had her hand on Mason's back and was grinning from ear to ear.

"Is she a good cook?"

"Mum!" I laughed, not my mum over here getting jealous?

"Just as good, mama Sarah!" Mason said, what a kiss ass.

"I'm glad to here one of my boys are getting themselves out there, building and stuff!" She turned her body towards me, pointing a finger.

"It's rude to point!" I snickered only for her to change fingers to her middle one.

My mother everyone,

such a darling women.