Silence

They said I changed a lot,
I said a lot changed me.

The sound of silence is something I am not used to

The knowing that there should be a noise but there isn't. The knowing of another presence somewhere but unable to identify where.

That is not something I am used to.

Nor do I like.

Silence is the enemy.

It allows all dangers to attack in surprise, and you to suffer when you are at your worst.

Silence is what I was surrounded by at the moment.

Arina, Isaac, Konstantine, Alfie and Michael sat in front of me, Sergio and Andre on a video call, their faces on the tv screen of my office.

We have just received information on a human trafficking shipment for another mafia in Liverpool.

But not the Chinese this time.

It's the Spanish.

Our number one rule when making the peace treaty was that there would be no more human trafficking. And they broke it. Not to mention they are on our territory without asking and being given permission.

"What's the plan?" Alfie asked as he sat in his seat, hands fisted together in fury.

"We empty the shipment." Isaac began. "We rescue all the people and kill every Spanish there."

"Hold on." Konstantine said."That could be considered an act of war."

"So was breaking the rules of the peace agreement." Sergio responded though the call.

"And, in that certain paragraph of the contract, it states the opposing mafia is allowed to take whatever action they deem necessary if a rule is broken." Andre said, in what Lexi likes to call his 'lawyer voice'.

"It's settled then, we'll send a team to drive down at seven." Isaac states.

"Who's going?" Alfie asks.

"Kon?" I question

"Like you even have to ask." He chuckles. But a humourless one. Nine years ago, his little sister became one of the many victims of human trafficking. We spent years looking for her, but when his mother died, her one wish was for Konstantine to give up and not let his life slip away; she believed she is dead.