11. Aayi aisi raat hai

*****

*****

Ziah watched as Parizad walked away with Daiyan. Her heart went out for the two because a moment ago they were laughing together and the next, Parizad looked ready to cry. No one could blame her though. A mother's position in life was something more important than air itself. Ziah smiled softly as she recalled her own and the burn at the side of her eyes made her aware of the awaiting tears that could flow any moment now.

Hastily wiping her eyes, she made sure not to smudge the eyeliner or else Allah knows what her face would look like!

Thankfully she had taken Parizad's number and would stay in touch with the sweet woman even from miles away. Her ears registered the loud yellings and whistles and it didn't take a genius to guess what was happening.

She watched as the car zoomed away from the wedding scene. Her stomach twisted in knots, as though to indicate an impending doom but avoiding her subconscious, she turned around to look for the next person she was close to.

Luckily for her or maybe unfortunate for her heartbeat, she found Marwan standing near the catering table with a bottle of water in his hands. His eyes were already trained on her and Ziah tried not to blush at his expression of disbelief.

Walking up to him, she gave him a small smile with a shy 'hi' and Marwan was quick to snap out of his daze. He gave a boyish grin in return and kept the bottle aside and just as he was about to speak, the call to bring the bride to the mandap was heard.

He gave her an apologetic look and Ziah shook it off with an assuring blink of her eyes. The two stood side by side and watched Preeta guiding her daughter near the sacred fire where her to-be husband Kabir was already awaiting her with a nervous look.

The man was a part of the intelligence agency and an expert with techs. He wasn't one of those buff and strong guys, no, he was a simple and reserved person who could do anything but uphold a conversation for longer than 2 minutes and to think that there he was, marrying a woman so fierce and one who played with guns like they were her personal toys seemed surreal.

Aliya winked at him from behind her burgundy veil and his wide eyes averted elsewhere if at all he ended up blushing in the midst of the hundreds of people around.

Ziah smiled widely at the scene while Marwan snickered beside her. A frown graced her features as she gave him a glance and Marwan was quick to straighten up. Giving her a sheepish smile, he gently held her wrist in his and walked near the mandap where they could see the wedding more clearly- and all this was an action so fluent, that it felt like a normal routine.

Ziah controlled her thudding heart as she felt the zaps of energy flow through her blood that was rising second by second. His touch didn't burn her, no, it felt so soothing, so fallacious that it scared the sane part inside her. If it were all to be a dream, just a moment that was meant to touch and go, she didn't know if she could survive for long.