34. Red thread of fate

*****

*****

Of all the things Ziah expected for her day to begin with, it surely didn't entail the question Madiha asked nonchalantly at the breakfast table like it were as simple as asking someone, when is your birthday?

"Ab yeh sab ho hi chuka hai toh, have you found a good place for a honeymoon?"

Ziah choked on the water she was drinking while Waheed cleared his throat. Giving a side eye to his wife, he subtly dabbed his lips and within seconds, took his leave for the office. Meanwhile, Marwan was still busy munching on the poha that he had served for himself, acting oblivious to Madiha's question.

The hues of red that hadn't left Ziah's form since the last night intensified by ten folds. Focusing her gaze on her almost empty plate, she coughed awkwardly a few times and gave a side eye to her husband who was as chilled as ever.

"Ab maine kya kiya?"

Marwan frowned when he registered the scowl on his wife's face. He had gobbled his breakfast and now had his full attention on his wife who seemed to be covered in shades of red.

Tilting his head a little, he touched her forehead, expecting a brewing fever but felt nothing.

"Marwan, suna maine kya kaha?"

He blinked in confusion at his mother who let out an exasperated breath. Madiha kept down the spoon and focused her gaze on her son and daughter-in-law.

"Honeymoon ke liye kaha ja rahe ho?"

"Abhi tak decide nahi kiya."

Marwan shrugged casually at the question and Ziah could only wish to disappear from the scene. His eyes found their way back to his wife and a smirk threatened to spill on his lips when the reason for the rogue pink on her skin became clear.

"Decide kar lo. I don't want you to appear out of nowhere and then disappear for months, leaving her alone."

Definitely not a suggestion.

With that, Madiha lovingly patted Ziah's cheek and kissed her forehead and with a look that clearly screamed her hidden threats at Marwan, she walked away, giving the two the privacy they needed.

"Soo, where to?"

Marwan placed his head on Ziah's shoulder as he casually threw the question. A smile pulled on his lips when he heard an embarrassed whine from his wife. Ziah pushed him away with a scowl. She feared for her sanity in his presence.

"Switzerland? Paris? Italy?"

Marwan flipped through the options with a curious expression. Ziah threw a cushion at him since it was clear that he was enjoying her predicament. It was a little over noon and Marwan was free for a few weeks that would follow. Major Mathur had granted him a leave with clear instructions that he'd have to make up for them sometime.