23. It feels suffocating

*****

*****

The special commando force departed without a second thought on the command of Major Mathur. Hafeez was left behind by Marwan to take care of his family in his absence, knowing well that Waheed might be busy coddling his business empire.

The shrill sound of the phone brought Madiha back from her worry-filled thoughts. Stopping midway through her spinach chopping, she wiped her hands in the nearby towel and took hold of her phone. Her eyes widened in surprise on seeing the name of her husband glistening proudly as the caller and she didn't waste a moment before sliding the green button.

"Assalamu alaikum."

She greeted him with a small smile. The gruff voice from the other side replied and silence stretched between the two for a few seconds. If possible, Madiha's smile widened even more upon realising what the call could potentially be about and she tried her best to keep a casual tone.

"Has he left?"

"Ji, kuch ghante pehle hi nikal gaye woh sab."

Waheed hummed in reply from the other side as he fiddled with his fountain pen. Sitting on the leather chair in his office at the 54th floor, he stared at the papers kept on his desk with a far away look.

"Aap lunch karne ghar aayenge?"

The timid voice of his wife made him blink a few times. Gripping the pen more firmly in one hand, he straightened his posture and cleared his throat.

"Nahi, I've an urgent meeting to attend."

Madiha bit her lips to stop a chuckle and she waited for him to say something more- precisely, say what he had called for.

"How long will he be gone for?"

"A few weeks is what he said. Baki sab bhi hai uske saath, aap fikr na kare."

Waheed's eyes widened a little before he composed his stance. Scoffing lightly, he put on a look of defiance even though there was no one around to look at his expressions.

"Mujhe fikr karne ki zaroorat bhi nahi hai. It was his decision after all. Kare jo karna hai use."

The two stayed silent after that. The call wasn't cut but the even breathing of the two was the only thing that was heard. Madiha sighed as she pushed away the knife and voiced to her husband.

"There are chances that this mission might be more dangerous than the previous ones."

Waheed's grip on the pen tightened. The tip of the fountain pen was pressed more firmly on the papers, the ink that flowed made a hole on the material due to the force with which it was being pressed.

"Did anyone force him to go? Nahi na, he brought it on himself."

Saying that, he abruptly cut the call, not in the mood to discuss his son's latest schedule. Releasing the pen from his death grip, he brought his hands to rub his face. Once, twice, but the tension that had entered his form didn't lessen even a little bit.