29. I can take you away

*****

*****

Mehndi Hai Rachne wali,
Haathon Mein Gehri Laali

The song was set to be played on full volume as the haveli bustled with joy. Many women from all around the town had been invited to the mehendi ceremony. The haldi had passed by in the early hours of the morning and the zenith of the sun was now viewing the ceremony of colour that people often symbolised with love.

Kahe Sakhiyaan, Ab Kaliyaan
Haathon Mein Khilne wali Hain

Ziah stared at her hands in wonder. The designs seemed so floral, so beautiful. Each vein connected with the other in a never ending terrain, not leaving an inch of skin untouched. The colour had started to appear from the gaps, darkening at a slow pace further and further.

Tere Mann Ko, Jeevan Ko
Nayi Khushiyaan Milne wali Hai

"Rang toh bada acha chad raha hai."

A woman from the crowd spoke. The youngsters were busy running around, gurgling and laughing, pushing and pulling, but Ziah could not muster even a small smile.

"Chadhega hi, akhir kar, itne saalo tak Badar ke dil mein iske liye mohabbat toh badi hi hogi."

They giggled at the remark but Ziah suppressed a wince at the words.

Mohabbat.

Such a lousy word that not many have the fortune to experience, especially when it comes to their life partners.

The world has come to a point where people bond themselves together just for co-existence. To rely on each other either materially or physically and many had come to call it love.

Love.

A word that people have now labelled as fantasy that lives only in stories- fairy tales and legends. Many go as far as comparing it to the attraction you feel when you look at someone- an attraction that might've come because of how they look, speak or carry themselves in general.

But that was not love.

"Arey, aap sab kya kabse yaha waha ki baatein le kar baithi hai. Chale, khana kha lete hai."

Khurshida begum offered a sweet smile to the guests who murmured in agreement to her words. The older woman turned her gaze towards Ziah who already had her eyes fixated on her.

Ziah observed the light in her phuphi's eyes. The light that was dark and cunning, as though a desire of years had finally been fulfilled. The smile she wore deceived everyone but her.

The expression was not different from a hunter catching a prey of a high value.

But time will tell, who was the hunter and who was its prey.