26. The sweetest lies

*****

*****

Ziah took her sweet time within the room that had provided her solace and comfort for more than a month. The windows had been left open and the breeze of monsoon was floating all around- her favourite season was finally around the corner but she couldn't bring herself to enjoy the fact.

Walking up to the dressing table, Ziah went through all the things that were untouched, apart from the kohl and the lip balm that she applied once in a while. Opening the drawer, she found nothing that could entice her and closed it softly before turning around to look at the suitcase that Madiha had lended her.

Now coming to think of it, none of the things in the room belonged to her. They were all mere necessities that the Qureshis' were humble enough to give her without any cost.

New clothes to wear.

Food to keep her stomach full.

A roof over her head.

And a room that could've been given to a special guest.

Guest.

That's what she was and her stay had finally come to an end. Maybe a little sooner than her mind and heart would like to admit or maybe, it was the fact that the word 'guest' had suddenly turned into something more.

Swallowing down her emotions, Ziah kept the suitcase aside and walked out of the room with nothing but a small something clutched in her palms. It was a belonging she refused to leave behind, the last remnant of the wishful dreams that her heart had woven.

Coming to stand in the living room, she found faces that were all dull and gloomy, aside from the man who had given her nothing but hell.

Madiha had stood silently in the corner, not once had she spoken nor had she voiced anything to oppose Ziah's departure.

Laiha and Parizad though were a different talk. The duo kept pointing things and stinking words at Badar, all the while trying to find excuses to delay Ziah's departure.

"Abhi hi kyu nikalna hai? Itni jaldi bhi kya hai?"

Laiha interjected, not ready to see the woman she had come to accept as a sister leave with a man who clearly disturbed her comfort and peace. Parizad stood beside her and gave a rapid nod, agreeing with everything Laiha had to say.

"Amma bahot excited hai Ziah se itne dino baad milne ke liye. Aise kaise mana kar du unhe?"

The smooth words couldn't even be doubted with the way Badar voiced them.

"Ziah, bag kaha hai?"

Badar frowned when he found her standing empty handed, suddenly alert of the fact that she might have changed her mind.

Ziah avoided looking at him as much as she could. Giving a small smile to the rest of them who looked just as confused as him and maybe a little hopeful, she spoke in an audible tone just above a whisper,