the great sheep caper.

Finn doesn't see Regulus for days on end

Finn doesn't see Regulus for days on end. If she didn't hear the occasional noise from his room or come across the dishes and mugs he hasn't bothered to wash, she would have forgotten about his existence entirely. It's like he's not even there.

The thought makes her wants to snort. Her uncle thought that it'd be good for her to have 'company' — now, she's just a lonely girl with a silent, broody interloper that hates her in her own house, and that breeds a different sort of loneliness altogether.

A week later, Friday morning dawns bright and clear with the sun peeking tentatively over the hills. It promises to be a beautiful day, and Finn lazes comfortably in bed as golden light streams in through her white net curtains. She contemplates staying there for hours longer, watching the sun rise and crest and set all from the comfort of her own bed, knowing perfectly well that no one is going to come to check on her to get her out of bed.

That's a slippery slope though, and eventually she has to haul herself  out of bed and pull on her comfiest jeans so that she get some housework done. Still yawning, she pads out into the kitchen and begins emptying the washing machine of still-damp clothes.

To her great irritation, the bleach that she had poured over the top of Regulus' stupid wizard robes hadn't affected them at all, despite the fact that she had tried twice. They're very finely made, and Finn finds herself peering curiously at the damp fabric as she carries her basket full of wet clothes outside. It doesn't seem like cotton or linen or even polyester, but Finn can't tell what fabric they're made from — probably some stupid magic wizard material.

There's still dew on the grass when Finn slips outside, basket resting on her hip. The grass tickles her bare feet and the sun warms her shoulders as she rounds the corner of the house. A clothesline stretches from the east wall to one of the large willow trees, and Finn drops the basket at her feet as she pauses in front of it.

It's fine drying weather at the moment, but Irish weather isn't the most reliable and Finn has no idea how long the sun will last. She starts hanging the wet clothes up on the line as quickly as possible, trying to take advantage of the sun while it's out.

It's boring and monotonous work, but it's familiar and soothing and she falls into a rhythm as the sunlight filters through the leaves above her.

It's all perfectly peaceful, until the stillness is broken by loud shouting that comes from within the house.

Finn jumps, startled, and almost drops the shirt she's holding into the grass.

 Instinctively, she takes a step towards the house, but then pauses. The spell cast over the house surely ensures that there's no intruders, so Finn doubts that anyone has managed to break in. The shouting hadn't necessarily sounded pained, so it doesn't seem like Regulus is hurt.

Chances are, he's just being a dramatic idiot. And Finn is, admittedly, still annoyed at him.

So after another brief moment of hesitation, she turns back and continues hanging up the washing, ignoring the yelling from the house to the best of her ability.