the order.

helloooo! please excuse the early update, things have been super overwhelming and busy this week. i may not be able to update next week either, so i apologise in advance! hopefully things will get back to normal soon ❤️

 i may not be able to update next week either, so i apologise in advance! hopefully things will get back to normal soon ❤️

"I mean it when I say that you two," Evan announces, scowling. "Are the worst."

Regulus just grins, leaning back on the sand and looking perfectly unaffected by his friend's annoyance. A few feet ahead of them Finn stands knee-deep in lakewater, carefully keeping her face directed out at the horizon in an attempt to hide her mortified flush.

"Sorry, mate." Regulus says, though it lacks sincerity. "We'll remember the silencing charm next time. Promise."

"That was your fault." Finn hisses at him, mortified. "How am I supposed to remember it?"

"Good point." Evan nods energetically, as though he's won the argument now that Finn has agreed with him. "It's on you, Reg. I mean seriously, I did not need to hear all that-!"

Finn squeezes her eyes closed in a wince and tries hard to ignore them both. Part of her curses herself for caving to Regulus' suggestion that they go visit the kelpie; but after how good he had been to her only the night before she finds herself hard-pressed to refuse him anything. Even still, she is a little apprehensive despite the serenity of the small sheltered lakefront.

Her attention is better focused on the water anyway — the kelpie has surfaced about fifteen feet away from her, bulbous eyes aglow in the golden evening sun. As soon as Finn spots the familiar sleek form, she tosses the raw meat she's been holding in her hands.

The kelpie moves so quickly that Finn almost misses it — in a flurry of water and dark spindly limbs, the creature actually leaps out of the water to catch the hunk of raw meat mid-air.

Startled, Finn stumbles back with a choked off little yelp.

"Fuck!" She yells, whirling around to stare at the boys with wide eyes. "Did you fucking see that!"

Regulus has sat up, his own brows raised in surprise. The conversation with Evan has been abandoned, and he pushes himself up on his knees to get a better look at the kelpie tearing the raw meat apart. Its movements are surprisingly sharp and agile for a creature that only a month and a half ago had barely been able to float.

Finn laughs, delighted. Now that the kelpie is in shallower water, she can see that the sharpness of the hollows between its ribs have softened out. It doesn't look nearly as horribly thin as it had before — its muscles are no longer wasted, but now ripple with ill-disguised athleticism. It looks strong and healthy, and Finn feels a little thrill of self-satisfaction at the knowledge that she had helped the poor struggling creature.

"Did you see?" She asks again, turning towards the boys with an excited grin.

"Yes, I saw." Regulus has pushed himself to his feet and stepped closer to the waterline, presumably for a closer look. "Come here, Finn."