dreams.

and, we've come to the end of this story! i had originally planned for this fic to be roughly 80k words, but it's ended up longer than the order of the phoenix lmaooo. thank you for sticking with it the whole way through, your support always means the world! I hope you enjoy, and don't shout at me too much lol

 thank you for sticking with it the whole way through, your support always means the world! I hope you enjoy, and don't shout at me too much lol

The dream is the same as always, comforting in its familiarity.

A sweet, lilac-scented breeze cools her brow as she lays in the grass in the sun. The garden is in full bloom, greenery overlaid with bursts of beautiful bright colours. Camellias, rhododendrons, and oleanders wave and shiver gently in the warm breeze, and apple blossoms hang heavily from a nearby tree.

The sky is an almost surreally deep blue and Finn watches as enormous fluffy clouds float by, looking as though they've been painted on a jewel-blue canvas. It's not the first time she's had this dream, and she knows what she'll see if she keeps patiently waiting.

It doesn't take long — it never does.

Within moments, someone settles down in the grass next to her. Slowly, she turns her head to look.

The boy who has laid next to her has skin as smooth and clear as running water, hair dark like ink and curling attractively against his brow. He's almost otherworldly, and when he turns to look at her the sun catches on the curve of his cheekbones and lights his grey eyes up so brightly that they shine like the moon.

Finn says something, but it's like the words are coming from underwater. She has no idea what the words coming out of her mouth even are, but the boy tilts his head back into the grass and laughs.

He reaches out and brushes his fingertips over her cheeks where they're dimpled from her smile. For a moment, her dream feels real.

Finn jolts awake, breathing heavily and coated in a light sheen of sweat. She's had the same dream, or some variation of it, for months now. While it's become familiar to her, she still finds herself feeling vaguely panicked when she wakes up after it, as though she's forgotten something very important. The details slip from her mind up waking, and trying to recall the boy's face is like trying to hold water in a sieve.