6

A soft knocking at her door draws her head up and she smiles at the person lingering in the doorway as if waiting to be welcomed in.

"Hi," Winter is holding a steaming cup, which she holds out in Karina's direction and the brunette tugs out a headphone to take it, gratefully inhaling the scent of chai wafting up from the hot water. "I know you like tea when you study." Winter sits tentatively at the end of the carefully made bed, eyes darting over the textbooks strewn across the comforter. "Did you get the wifi key off Jisoo?"

"Yes, thanks," she pulls her other earphone out and pushes her reading glasses up into her hair, reaching over to pause her music and turn her attention fully to Winter, who is fidgeting with the edge of her jumper carefully, as if avoiding looking at Karina.

"She said to tell you she was going to town with Rosé. Something about last minute Christmas shopping."

"Ah, yes," it feels a little weird knowing that Jisoo, her only tether to the real world, has left the house but Winter's presence is comforting. "She mentioned she was going to go this morning."

Winter hums in agreement, thumbing casually through Karina's books as she has done so many times before. The action reminds Karina unerringly of walking back into her dorm after a shower one morning to find Winter sat up in bed in nothing but her panties, Karina's glasses perched on her nose, thumbing through a book on integration theories. "I'm you," she had said, with a wink and Karina hadn't been able to resist pressing her back into the bed.

Needless to say she'd had to shower again.

"Did you get your presentation done?" Winter asks now, looking up from her book curiously, "your group replied to your email?" At Karina's nod she smiles, looking to the ceiling in amazement, " at last holy shit, I thought you were going to have a heart attack."

"Hey," Karina scowls at her over the rim of her mug. "I was completely cool about the whole thing."

"Karina, you said you were going to slaughter them all in their beds." Winter deadpans, and then continues more passionately, "you turned down me, naked, with your favourite snack to prep for that presentation."

"You didn't really have cheetos," Karina grumbles.

"Oh yeah I did, a family pack. And I ate every last one." Winter laughs and ducks when Karina aims one of the pillows behind her head in Winter's direction.

"Was there something you wanted Winter-ssi?" She is scowling but there's a smile twitching her lips up irresistibly, "or are you just here to piss me off?"

"Yes, actually," Winter is still smiling, "I wanted to know if you wanted to go on a walk with us, we're going to have an epic snowball fight."

"As much as I know you could do with my expertise, I'll have to pass," she flicks her glasses back down onto her nose, "thanks though."

"Oh," Winter looks somewhat crestfallen and Karina tries to ignore the way that her heart sinks at the sight of her. "Okay."

She turns to leave but Karina can't quite stand to see her go without one last smile and so she whines, uncharacteristically.

" Winter ."

"What?" Winter turns on her heel, already grinning at her pathetic voice.

"Pass me the pillow?" She pouts a little and Winter rolls her eyes, shaking her head.

"No way, you make the mess, you clean it up."

" Please ."

She should hardly be surprised by the pillow that hits her squarely in the face and yet Winter is still left laughing at the way she splutters.

-

Jisoo and Rosé happen to arrive home just as Karina ventures downstairs to wash her mug. They are both shivering, stamping their feet on the mat in the doorway and peeling off gloves and hats and coats, dumping bags at their feet. She hesitates, smiling at her sister as Jisoo rubs her reddening nose.

"Missing the California weather now, hmm?"

"Don't be so smug," Jisoo casts her a glare, scooping to collect the bags of presents into her hands as Rosé laughs.

"I could do with some sun right now, to be honest. Maybe we should come and visit you some time?"

The suggestion surprises her, but it isn't unpleasant and Karina finds herself nodding in agreement, ignoring the way Jisoo cocks an eyebrow at her. "Sure, I'll let you know when I get some down time."

"Okay, well that's cheating," Jisoo protests, edging past her to start up the stairs, "you never allow yourself any down time."

"I could make the exception for you guys," she argues for the sake of it, looking between the two of them as she climbs the stairs after her sister. "Well, probably not for you, but for your girlfriend, she's cool."

Rosé whoops in celebration, sticking her tongue out at Jisoo, who pauses and turns, aghast, to glare at her sister.

"To think I raised you."

"You did not," Karina scoffs, shouting out in protest when Jisoo wraps an arm around her waist when she tries to squeeze past on the stairs, "let me go!"

"Not until you admit who taught you to shoot basketball hoops." Jisoo deadpans and Karina rolls her eyes, clawing at the arm around her. Jisoo refuses to let go, simply tightening her grip until Karina finally gives up, sighing heavily as she admits, reluctant.

"Fine, you taught me how to shoot hoops."

"Thank you," Jisoo lets her go with a flourish and Karina makes sure to take a few steps away from her before she calls down to Rosé.

"Too bad she sucks at basketball."

"Hey!"

Jisoo turns to chase her up the stairs, their feet thundering up the stairs like a small earthquake as Karina skids around the corner, feet slipping against the woven rug on the floor. Jisoo is laughing breathlessly behind her, heaving and cursing and Karina throws herself down the corridor and through the door to the bathroom just as it begins to open.

Her body collides with something warm and soft but she doesn't take the time to look at it as she spins and slams the door shut, the deadbolt sliding into place just as fists bang against the door and Jisoo's voice shouts.

"You can't hide in there forever!"

"Oh yeah? Watch me!"

"Is that so?" The voice from behind makes her startle.