15

"Ah, they came up for air." Rosé remarks wryly, cocking an eyebrow at them and Karina wonders if her cheeks could possibly burn off under such intense embarrassment.

"We were just-"

"The mistletoe-" Karina puts in hopelessly and they are met with four unbelieving glances.

"Maybe not out in the hall, hm Winter?" Ms Pi raises her eyebrows at her daughter and Karina thinks that Winter may actually shrink into the floor.

"Mom, I-"

"Come on, if you're both here you can help us get more supplies for the party." Ms Pi breezes past them and Karina is left to follow obediently in Winter's wake into the kitchen.

There, she finally finds her voice. "Ms Pi I'm so sorry, we didn't mean for you to-"

"No, I bet you didn't dear," Ms Pi casts her a smile over her shoulder, full and genuine. "But we've all been there, don't worry."

"But I mean... mom, Karina and I had just had too much to drink," Winter lingers anxiously next to her mother, casting worried glances at Karina as the other three bustle around the kitchen collecting platters. "It wasn't anything serious."

"Honey," Ms Pi places a hand on Winter's shoulder and gives her a bemused smile. "I don't mind that you brought your girlfriend here over Christmas, I just think you should tell people if you're going to kiss in the hallway. It would give Grandpa an awful fright with no warning."

"We are not -"

"Karina isn't my girlfriend!"

Ms Pi pauses, looking between the two of them in surprise and Karina's stomach sinks before she even opens her mouth. "Of course she is, why else would she be here?"

"My- my dorm was water damaged, Jisoo..." Karina trails off, glancing back at her sister for support, but Jisoo's wide eyes show that she has no idea what's going on either.

"But you two are together?" Jennie gathers the new tray of cut vegetables and hummus into her hands, frowning at them.

"We're not!"

"Well you certainly act like you are," Rosé puts in, with a sardonic twist of her lips. "You weren't fooling anyone guys."

"We- we weren't?" Karina looks helplessly around the room and receives shaking heads, collapsing back against the counter as Jennie and Rosé file past her.

Jisoo pauses next to her and laughs, ruffling her hair, "Chin up, A for effort."

"I don't understand," Ms Pi watches Jisoo's retreating back with confusion, eyes spinning from Karina to Winter. "You were pretending? Why? I thought you just weren't ready to label it."

"I... Mom I just wasn't sure how to tell you," Winter admits quietly. "What with dad and all... it felt insensitive."

"Oh," Ms Pi's face softens, saddens slightly, but she reaches out to draw Winter closer, resting reassuring hands on her arms. "Winter, sweetie, of course not. I want you to be happy and dad would be thrilled to know you've found someone so kind and smart," She casts Karina a smile.

"This doesn't make you sad?" Winter's voice is so small that Karina's heart aches.

"The opposite," Ms Pi promises, quietly, "I'm so happy to see you happy." Her attention turns to Karina and she reaches out to invite her closer, taking Karina's hand in hers and addressing her. "Thank you for making my Winter smile again, Karina."

"Any- anytime." Is all she manages and Ms Pi smirks between the two of them.

"But you need to work on your subterfuge girls, hopefully you won't need to sneak around anymore." She releases them both, stepping back and Karina is drawn inescapably to Winter's side, their hands finding each other like magnets, fingers tangling.

Winter gives her a small, dazed sort of smile and Karina squeezes her fingers to resist kissing her beautiful mouth.

"Oh and Karina?" Ms Pi pauses at the doorway, drawing their eyes back to her. "You'd better stay for Christmas now."

"I will." The beam that spreads across her face is so wide her cheeks hurt.