10

"Fuck, Rina... okay just... yes there -"

"Shhh! You're going to get us caught."

"Then stop doing that thing with your fingers- oh - okay y-yes, keep doing that... Oh shit you're good at that- yes, fuck- ouch!"

"What? What happened?"

"You banged my head! Be more careful!"

"We're in your airing cupboard Winter, I can't see anything!"

"You're the one who pushed me in here!"

"I thought it was a spare bedroom!"

"Shut up, I can hear someone-"

"Fuck-"

"Get off me-"

--

"So," Jisoo pushes through her door without knocking, startling Karina up from her place on the bed, peeling the socks from her feet. Molly pads in behind her, trotting across the threshold and jumping up beside Karina to curl up as if she owns the place. "How long were you going to wait to tell me you had a girlfriend?"

Her words pull Karina's gaze up from where they're focused on the fluffy animal beside her and she freezes, her hands stilling in the soft fur as she turns to blink at her sister.

"What?"

Jisoo steps in, pulls the door shut behind her but lingers close to the doorway, watching her with something between amusement and concern, arms crossed over her chest as she raises a sleek eyebrow.

"You. And a girl. Together. When were you going to let me know?"

"A- are you talking about Chae?" She's sure her eyes are giving her away, so she can't help but be glad when the dog beneath her fingers wriggles in protest, twisting her head to lick at Karina's fingers indignantly. "Because we haven't been together in over a year, you know that..."

"No," Jisoo wrinkles her nose in disgust, shaking her head as she edges slowly closer to Karina. "That bitch? You're well shot of her."

"Then I don't know what you're talking about," she keeps her gaze on Molly, running her fingers up and down the animal's spine before settling to scratch behind her ears.

"Karina." Jisoo sounds less than amused and when Karina chances a glance at her she has stopped by Karina's knees and is looking down at her, expectant and put out.

"Listen, I don't know what gave you the idea I have a girlfriend," she struggles for a smile, the corners of her lips twisting up into something almost ugly. "I'm single. Tragically, desperately single."

"Yeah, the hickey on your collarbone says so."

Her hand flies up to touch at the tender skin stretched over bone and she bites her lip, swallowing before offering, weakly, "it's... a bruise? I fell over?"

Jisoo snorts, shaking her head at her ridiculous excuses and even Karina can't help but smile, her hand falling away from the purpling mark as Jisoo sits tentatively beside her, jostling the bed a little much to Molly's displeasure. "Don't be embarrassed, you could do a lot worse than Winter."

"I-It's not...! How, why would you even...?" She splutters and gasps, cheeks heating up under her sister's harsh gaze and Jisoo's response is bitterly sarcastic.

"Well you haven't left the house since you got here and the only other person it could possibly be is Ms Pi." She quirks an eyebrow again, mischief lingering at her lips and sparkling her eyes as she asks, "well sis? Have you got an older lady kink?"

"No! No- it's not- I mean-" she buries her face in her hands with a pained groan and after a moment Jisoo's hand lands on her back, rubbing soothingly.

"At ease, soldier. This isn't an interrogation."

"Were we so obvious?" The words are muffled between her fingers, but Jisoo still seems to understand.

"I wasn't sure until the hickey. But I think I'm the only one who's seen that, plus... I'm a little psychic." When Karina peers through the cage of her fingers, she can see that Jisoo is smirking at her, all gentle humour and easy, unassuming eyes and she eases herself slowly back up to look at her older sister, speaking tentatively.

"You're not... mad?"

"Why would I be mad?" Jisoo blinks at her, genuinely confused by her question, "Winter's great, I'd happily have her as a sister in law."

"Ugh," Karina reaches out a hand to push at her when she laughs again and slumps back into the comforter on her back, eyes fixed to the intricate, hand carved light fixture.

The bed shifts beside her and she turns to see Jisoo leaning back on the bed beside her, hands resting over her stomach calmly and she's grateful that her sister remains quiet, staring up at the ceiling as she waits for Karina to speak.

"You can't tell anyone." The words escape her rushed and panicked and Jisoo nods once.

"Okay." A beat of quiet. "Why not?"

"It's... complicated." Karina can't stand to look at her, can't face the anxious eyes that watch her and instead swallows so heavily that it's almost painful. "I can't... it's not serious and she doesn't want anyone to know. Something about her mom."

"I see," Jisoo's lips are downturned, her voice quietly concerned and Karina turns to look at the girl intently.

"It's not the same as Chae."

"If you say so," Jisoo's lips are still pulled together, but otherwise her face doesn't give any indication of her thoughts, a blank slate.

"Seriously," she turns onto her side, resting her arm beneath her head to look at the girl. "Chae was... she wasn't ready to be out of the closet but Winter is worried about her mom's feelings. Anyway, this isn't anything real, just sex."

"Are you sure?" Jisoo turns her head to look at her, lips pursed with worry. "I just... can't see you like that again Rina."

The affectionate name softens Karina's expression and she smiles, "thank you for worrying but this isn't like that was. I won't go back to that place, I promise. Winter and I, we're just... having fun."

"We both know you're not very good at just having fun." Jisoo reaches out to touch her arm gently and Karina swallows, throat bobbing guiltily as she tears her eyes away from her sister.

"I have to be, unnie. What we have now is good. I can't be the one to fuck that up."

"Loving someone-" At Karina's indignant glance, she backtracks and corrects herself, "fine, liking someone isn't wrong Karina. It's not a weakness."

"I can't." She tears herself abruptly away from Jisoo's touch, sitting up so suddenly that it jostles Molly, who jumps from the bed in fright and scampers from the room. Karina watches her go, runs a hand through her tangled hair and can't meet Jisoo's gaze when her sister gets up more slowly. "What we have now is good. I won't lose it."

"Well," Jisoo stands, hand brushing over the tense fingers in Karina's hair gently, "in case you decided you did want something more, Christmas is coming up and jewellery is always nice."

She is gone before Karina can form a response and when Karina falls back into the bed with a huff of frustration, she is grateful to hear the pattering of claws against the wooden floor in the hallway, followed moments later soft, curly fur brushing against her arms and the dip of the bed.