14

"Do you really have to go Karina?" Jennie whines from across the kitchen, peering at Karina over the top of the tray of sausage rolls she's carrying.

Kai steps in to take the piled tray from her hands before she drops them and gives Karina a smile as he passes, pausing where Karina is neatly wrapping cutlery with paper napkins at the kitchen table. "Yeah, you're the only semblance of calm in this madhouse, even Jisoo has turned to the dark side."

"Hey!" Kai artfully dodges the bread roll Jisoo launches his way, grinning at Karina's sister as he escapes into the living room. "That's not fair," Jisoo grumbles and Rosé curls an arm around her waist, squeezing comfortingly.

"I know babe, but just accept it. You're one of us now."

"I am not!" Jisoo squawks in protest, turning to Karina for support and Karina's eyes drag slowly from her flashing Christmas sweater to the antlers askew on her head.

"This isn't the point," Jennie puts in, falling into the seat opposite Karina. "I want you to stay Karina! We all do, you're one of the family now! You're even wearing a Christmas sweater!"

Karina tugs self consciously at her sweater, half shrugging. "Winter insisted. Anyway, I can't intrude on Ms Pi for Christmas, I don't really belong here."

"Of course you do!" Jennie shakes her head, bewildered, "Just as much as Jisoo doess!"

"Ms Pi would be happy to have you," Rosé adds, a small smile twitching at her lips. "You and Winter get on so well, she'd be happy to-" She cuts herself off abruptly when Jisoo elbows her and Karina's brows crease as she looks between them.

"Yes but all of their relatives are flying in today. Ms Pi needs to room."

"You can stay with Winter," Jennie says bluntly, frowning when Karina's cheeks heat and Rosé lets out a small scoff. "Surely it would-"

"What are you guys talking about?" Winter saunters in, her santa hat propped atop short curls and leans over Karina to snag a cheese skewer.

"I'm trying to make Karina stay," Jennie watches as Winter leans against the back of Karina's chair. "These two are being crazy unhelpful, but you want her to stay don't you?"

"Of course," Winter squeezes Karina's shoulder softly and when Karina's eyes slide up she finds Winter's expression soft. "But we'll see her again I'm sure."

"I need to get back to study," Karina rises before she can do something stupid, like pull Winter into her lap and kiss her senseless. "But I'm staying for the party."

Jennie humphs, but Karina doesn't stay to listen to the rest of her grouching as she gathers two handfuls of cutlery wraps and makes her way to the living room. It is bedecked in even more festive cheer, garlands covering every wall, mistletoe hanging in the corner and lights on every surface. The furniture has been pushed back against the walls to make room for the guests and the table where she and Winter had played scrabble is already groaning under the weight of food. She deposits the cutlery in a wicker basket at the end of the table and looks over at where Mino is affixing the last garland to the wall and Ms Pi is anxiously plumping cushions. Kai is opening a bottle of champagne in preparation for the guests.

"You're very brave to stay for the Kim Christmas Eve party Karina," Ms Pi crosses the room to stand beside her and Karina smiles faintly.

"I'm sure it will be great."

"I hope you're ready to be put in the spotlight," Ms Pi grins, reaching out to briefly touch her arm, comforting. "Winter is something of the darling of the family, they're very protective of her."

Karina frowns, opens her mouth to pursue Ms Pi with questions, but Ms Pi is distracted by Jennie tottering in under the weight of two huge platters of food.