One

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

It had been two (2) months since the war with the Falconier empire had stopped and the second (2nd) in line for the throne had left with them to help their own interests. It didn't change much for you though; when you live in the middle of a forest where your only human contact is with the royal traders a few miles away, you don't normally get included in that subject.

You liked it that way though, not having to worry about what was happening to other people, simply living your life like the way others had before anything really. You lived in a cozy spruce wood cabin that you had hand built yourself when you had moved out of the main city, and even had a small husky who's stuck with you ever since it appeared on your doorstep. You had decided to call it Charcoal. You enjoyed your life that was separated from everyone else, it allowed you to simply be yourself; however, you didn't have a right to brag.

Hunting was something you always enjoyed in the midst of dawn, all of the animals that were hunted were closer during the time. You looked past the trees and saw polar bear tracks in the snow. You followed them with as little noise as possible, and made small markers to get back to the cabin.

The tracks led you a decent distance north, and eventually led to a set of polar bears. You hid in the nearby brush, not getting the best look at them. Once you were in a safe position, you looked over the snow and saw a polar bear with three (3) cubs.

Charcoal, who had followed you down the hill not long afterwards, jumped from the bush and waltzed over to the bears. The mother looked at him as he sat down on the snow, and paid him no mind for the time being. You began your way back to your cabin and heard Charcoal get up not long afterwards.

You made your way back to the cabin and hung your polar bear skin coat.

"Well, no good catches today, maybe tomorrow, right?" You say to Charcoal. You just realized that you were talking to a dog again. "Nevermind, we need to get to the shop anyways."

The journey from your cabin to the village was around a mile and a half (½) south. You grabbed your compass which you had made to point directly to your fireplace, and the herbs that your friend had requested. Then you began your journey to the town.

The path that you took felt shorter and shorter every time that you had taken it. You reached the town by noon, and went directly to your friend's small market stall where they sold paint.

"Marlow!" You yell, hoping that your vindicator friend wasn't busy.

"Oh, Y/N! How nice of you to drop by, with the berries and indigo I presume?" He asked, a warming smile on his face.

"Yeah, and I was curious, how is it with the new customers from Falconier?" You reply, handing him a small leather bag.

"Oh business has been wonderful actually; some actually really enjoy the cold. I hope that some start to settle here to get a new view of life." Marlow replied, handing you a small bag of silver coins. You were glad that the newcomers were welcome here.

"One (1) more thing, have any collar stalls appeared? I want a good quality collar for Charcoal." You ask your friend. You notice that Charcoal had gone to play with Marlow's ravager, Matthew.

"Yes actually, just go down the street and you'll see them." Marlow answered, motioning in the direction that you needed to go.

"Thanks Marlow! See you again soon!" You replied, beginning to head in the direction. The market itself felt a lot more crowded than normal; you felt reassured that things were going to get a lot better from here.

The shop that Marlow had mentioned was easy to spot despite the crowd of people. You walked over to the stall and saw a blonde girl that had bright blue eyes that ran it.

"Hello, how may I help you?" She asked, a bright smile on her face.

"I wish to buy a collar for my dog." You responded, returning the smile.

"Alright, any color preferences?" She requested, looking down at Charcoal.

"Nope," you decided, you figure that the vendor might have a choice in fashion.

"Okay, well a size M4 would probably be the best option for them, so if I could have the dog step on this small platform, that would be great." She requested. You nodded in response and motioned for Charcoal to get on a small stool that was near the stall.

The vendor began muttering a bunch of things to herself that you couldn't understand, and came out from behind the stall with a small basket of leather collars. She put a dark mahogany collar on him first.

"I'm not sure, what do you think?" She asked. You eyed the collar for a bit before responding.

"I say no, it doesn't really fit his personality." You responded. The vendor took the collar off and put a coral colored collar that was the same size as the first one.

"I like this one, how about you?" She questioned, looking back at you. You didn't have to think twice.

"Yes. Just yes." You answered. "How much do I owe you?"

"Five (5) silver coins. By the way, do you know where a good carpenter shop is? I've been trying to look around but I haven't been able to find one." She asked you.

"I'm pretty sure the stall that is a few steps north is fine, I normally do it all myself. I do know where a good paint stall is." You reply, handing her the silver coins.

"Oh, the vindicator with the ravager?" You nodded at her response. "Yeah, I've never seen such unique colors."

"Well, I better get going. Have a good rest of your day!" You finish, waving back to her, a warm smile coming on both of your faces.

You merge with the crowd and begin heading north once again, hoping that you could make it home before sunset. You run into someone on your way however, they were carrying a few new fox-hide coats.

"Sorry," you mention, helping them pick the coats off of the ground. "It was like you came out of nowhere."

"It's alright, some people say that a lot." They joke, you both chuckle as you pick up the coats. "Thank you."

"Your welcome," you reply normally, and then continue on your way north.

Soon, you arrived at your home, and the door was cracked open ever so slightly. Charcoal started growling dangerously, but oddly quiet for his usual. You put out your hand to silence the pup and walked slowly to the door, kicking it wide open and shouting at whoever was inside.

"Who are you, and what are you doing here?"

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔