Twenty-One

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

You stood for a moment in the near-silence. All you could hear was the animated chatter of Punz and Sapnap. Techno and Eret walked out into the hallway, and then the purple mist appeared before you. Almost instantly, Zalkhain materialized. Parts of them covered in the mist—almost like their body was created out of it, and they were phasing through reality.

"WHAT'S WRONG?" They shout, pulling their sword out. You looked down at them, flabbergasted. "What... happened?" Their sword lowers, and they look around. Once they see Techno, Punz, Ranboo—well, everyone—they breathe out a sigh of relief. "Nothing's wrong, huh?"

Ellis screamed suddenly, causing Zalkhain to tense. Rosemary came up to them, a grin on her face, and shook their shoulder. "Guess what, bub? You're on clean-up duty!" She feigned excitement for a moment before letting go and returning to her passive state.

"Zalk, I uh.. Summoned you here—I guess—so you could maybe get over that fear you have of Kid?" You suggested, grabbing their arm and turning them back towards you. Now Zalk was the flabbergasted one.

"What?"

"I mean, saying goodbye to them in their final moments would make you fear them less! Right?" You laughed nervously, stepping away from their cold gaze. Their dim eyes followed you, wide and slightly angered. Their voice came into your mind, but their lips never moved. What do you mean by 'final seconds', Y/N?

You gulped and stepped back. "A-Ask Rose!" You sputtered, pointing to the purple-haired woman. She shrugged as Zalk turned to face her, expression far more angered than it had been seconds before.

"What did you do, Rosemary Dawson?" They demanded, stepping closer to her.

"Exterminated the problem," she replied, jerking her head towards the end of the hall. Almost as if on cue, another scream echoed from the darkness. Out of the corner of your eye, you saw Eret shudder. You agreed with the movement, wanting almost desperately to do the same thing.

Zalkhain looked between the blackened hall and their friend, then ran to the screaming. You quickly went towards Eret and collapsed against them, groaning into her chest. He rubbed circles into your back, holding you for as long as you needed. God, this hero thing was becoming so much work.

————

"Any preferences on cake?" Rosemary asked when you made your way back to Aztalkia. The woman had a small notebook and was writing stuff down faster than the average person.

"Uhm, vanilla I guess." You answer, not really knowing your preference.

"Okay, Eret?" She continued, turning to them.

"Rosemary Dawson from when you met me and asked me like- fifty (50) times in my existence, my cake preference hasn't changed: RAINBOW SHERBERT!" She yelled at her.

"Okay, Fundy, can you remind me what your favorite cake flavor is, please?" Rosemary continued. You decided to just ignore her until she stopped asking about cake.

"Sometimes I think that woman doesn't have memory." Eret complained as you made your way up the staircase.

"You're not wrong actually." Zalkhain agreed. Rosemary was right behind you all, notebook in hand. "Rose, it's chocolate-vanilla swirl. Deal with it."

You all continued your way to the top of the spiral staircase. Rosemary went down first, the zipline itself looked like it went downwards more than the one (1) that went to your bedrooms. You froze at the edge as Eret strapped in next to you. It was... really far.

"Hey, hey," Punz laughed softly, clapping your shoulder. "It'll be okay, kiddo. You'll be alright."

"Kiddo?" You demanded, obviously offended by the title. "How dare you!" You called dramatically, pushing him back away from the edge. He laughed and pushed you back, but only slightly.

The two of you continued lightly pushing one another as everyone went down the line into the darkness. Punz laughed, you laughed, it was all great! The last two people to go were Zalkhain and Kid—who had been saved by Zalk not even an hour prior. Their unmasked face was quite intricate up close, you had to admit. The look in their eyes was dark and practically traumatized.

They had just seen their closest friend get torn apart by a dog, though. It was understandable.

After they were down the line, someone called for you. You turned around, looking into the darkness to try to distinguish who it was, when Punz shoved you one last time.

The impact knocked you both off of the edge into the swirling darkness before you. You tried screaming, but the air rushing past just exploded into your mouth. You wanted help—needed help—but you couldn't get it. Next to you, Punz stared down at the ground. His face was tear-stricken, not just from the wetness caused by the abusive air. Also from the fear of certain death.

And you understood that fear all too well. Even after everything, you were going to die.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔