Nineteen

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

When you came through the portal, you saw that there were a few more dents in the wall, and that night had fallen over the rubble. The castle still looked abandoned, except for the few lit torches on the wall. There was still no sign of life over the stone arches, and the stars gleamed dimly through the holes in the wall.

The arctic animals that lived in the surrounding forests as you once did seemed to have taken advantage of the destruction; the wolves howled freely and you could hear foxes surrounding the market rubble. There were distant crunches of snow surrounding you. The moon itself was full, and black, nearly not visible with the night sky.

"So, who are we lookin' for?" Techno whispered, leaning towards you curiously. He was fully suited with netherite armor, and had provided yourself and Eret with the same. Punz stepped through the portal last and shivered, looking around the hall in fondness.

"You'll see," you responded, knowing that if you said their name in the same realm as them, the whole plan would fall apart. "I can't say the name, it disgusts me so. You don't wish for my illness to give us away, do you?" You grinned slightly, swapping to a mocking voice.

Techno grinned back and nodded, rolling his red eyes. Eret leaned so close to you, nearly brushing their lips against your ear. "You're afraid of summoning them, aren't you?" She asked, making certain that only you could hear. You nodded and blinked at Ranboo and Punz. Ranboo's eyes gleamed in the darkness, setting them heavily apart; glowing green and red orbs in the distance.

"Follow me," you spoke slightly louder, hoping that your voice didn't sound as crackly as it felt. "I can lead us to the proper hiding place. I know where they are." Eret nodded, and there was slight movement in the darkness next to Ranboo. Then you took a few steps into the moonlight, allowing the coolness of the air to welcome you back before this battle.

And you were sure it would be a battle. "Are you sure the Zalkhain thing will work, Y/N?" Punz asked, his voice deeper than it had been previously. "I mean, I don't exactly know who that is, but... Techno sorta grimaced when they were mentioned."

"I grimaced because I haven't seen them in a while, so they'll be angry I haven't kept in contact with them," Techno explained, nervously smiling. "Doesn't mean I dislike 'em or anythin'."

"Huh, touché," Punz laughed softly and shook his head, falling back.

"It is a good question, though," you replied quietly. "Am I sure that the idea is going to work? As sure as I am that Kid is still here." The instant the words left your mouth you slammed and hand over it.

"Crap," Eret whispered, voicing your thoughts. You nodded wildly, trying to clean your brain.

"Something feels off," Kid's voice rings in your head. It seemed more echoey than usual, but you didn't think much of it. "Like I should be worried about something." They must have been replied to, because they continued on. "No, Ellis, no one's here. This room's the most secure in the whole castle."

You quickly pulled out a pad of paper and a pen, quickly writing out a small message to your comrades. "The most secure room in the castle?" You wrote, glancing around the room. Eret shook his head, and sighed. Techno raised a brow, and Punz stiffened, nodding.

"Punz knows," Ranboo nodded, somewhat gleeful. "As do I." Punz looked stunned, staring back at the halfling. Techno nodded and stepped back, allowing the pair to take the lead. Ranboo, however, only shook their head and stepped towards you. "I can take... take two (2) at a time."

You looked between each of your comrades, and pointed at Techno. You needed a good fighter in order to certainly stay safe. The tall child nodded and moved back towards the piglin man, gesturing you over. You stood next to them as Ranboo put their hands on both of your shoulders, and then their eyes began to glow. Yes, they were doing so beforehand, but now it was bright.

You had to look away, it was hurting your head, but you just kept staring.

"YO-HO, WHAT?" Kid's voice came, much clearer than before. Almost as though they were right there with you. Techno seemed distraught as he leaned against his sword, panting. You realized then that he must have never been teleported before.

"Ranboo," you spoke dangerously low, glancing up at them. They only nodded and disappeared again, going to get Punz and Eret. Kid started to take their gloves off in front of you, expression darkened and angrier than you'd ever seen it. "Woah, woah," you chuckled and stood in front of Techno. "I'll hope you know that I have an ace up my sleeve. You even come near me, and I am not afraid to call upon them."

"Upon who?" Kid asked, laughing loudly and stepping closer. You couldn't help but notice that their gloves were on, still. "You act like there is anyone you can summon who would scare me."

"Rosemary Dawson would scare you," you pointed out, grinning with more presented confidence than you seemed to feel. They stiffened slightly, and narrowed their eyes at you, proving your suspicion. "See? She would." Ellis moved slightly towards you, sword in hand and eyes trained on your every move. Kid held their hand out to stop her, smiling slightly. At that point, Ranboo had returned with Eret and Punz.

"Oh, Y/N," they laughed, stepping closer. "You don't get it, do you? We've been trying to get you to realize that you're one of us. You're not an Ensidionian, or, or an Aztalkian. No, no, no. Y/N, you're a person of the Astant."

You glanced around worriedly at your friends. They didn't know that Kid tried convincing you of this once before. Nor did they know that you weren't entirely certain whether they were right or wrong. Eret's covered eyes locked on you, brows furrowed and confused. It only remained for a moment before it dissipated and they shook her head.

"Even if they are from your kingdom," he grinned, stepping forward. Their grip on her weapon tightened, and he continued. "They will never fall to your side. They are here to help us retrieve Sapnap, our friend." Punz smiled, and stepped forward, trident in hand. Techno pushed up and clutched his sword in the way only those with experience would.

Kid clicked their tongue in disgust as you stepped forward. "You're no better than Zalkhain and Rosemary." They mumble to you, mask falling slightly. "Forgetting about us, disbelieving when we try to help you remember."

"What?" You ask, jolting back slightly. They looked up at you and pulled their mask off of their face, exposing that disconcerting bone again. Slowly, memories of Zalkhain and Tommy's conversation return to you. "Zalk didn't forget you, Kid."

"They didn't try to show it," they spat, glaring at you. "Besiiiides, everyone else did. One didn't? Oh, wow, whoop-de-doo!" They dropped the mask to the ground and stepped forward, obviously angrier than before. "Whoop. De. Doo."

You kept your eyes trained on them, until a quiet bark came from behind you. Everyone turned towards the noise, shocked. A small, black dog with amber eyes came barreling in through the door, tail wagging and tongue lolling out of its mouth. You couldn't distinguish the breed—perhaps a rottweiler. Well, the dog wasn't as shocking as Rosemary walking in behind it was.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔