Sixteen

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

"So," Kid's voice was deeper than usual, and their shoulders were far more slumped. Obviously, that was a result of the stress overload on them currently. The recent break-in and prison break was taking a large toll on their mental state. "Subpoena, right? Yeah, of course..."

Ellis kicked 'Subpoena' backwards against the deepslate wall of the cave they'd taken refuge in. He slammed against it with an audible crack, but he let out a groan of pain.

"Tell me, my dear Subpoena, what truly is your name?" Kid asked. Subpoena went to open his mouth, but Kid held up their hand. "Do know that we are aware of the truth and will not appreciate your lies. Be careful with your choice, my friend, as we don't take kindly to equivocators."

He shifted uncomfortably under the masked gaze of Kid, aware that something remorseless and cold resided in their near lifeless eyes. "It's Sapnap," he admitted quietly, turning away from his cold captor.

"What was that?" Kid laughed, slamming their foot into Sapnap's chest. "Speak up, my dear 'Subpoena'."

Sapnap did cry out now, slamming his head against the wall yet again. "SAPNAP! SAPNAP, IT'S SAPNAP!"

"Good," Kid smirked under their mask, pulling their boot away from the beaten man. "Why did you think it would've been profitable to lie to us at first, my dearest Sapnap?"

"Stop calling me that!" He demanded, ignoring the question. "You're sick!"

"I'm sick? Aw, my dear," they knelt down, practically on top of the tanned man. "If this is sick, you've seen nothing yet, I'm afraid." Their gloved hand twisted up along his muscled arms, stopping just above where his collar bone rested. "Why, if you want to see sick, I could torture you. That is sick, my dear."

Without another word, they shoved their hand behind where the bone lay against his skin, practically pulling the muscle from the bodily structure. Sapnap screamed in agony, the feeling of flesh and bones being torn apart consuming him. Kid pulled up their mask with their other hand, smiling sadistically down at the pained man under their knee.

"You're screaming? Oh, how weak, Sapnap! I'm so disappointed in you for that," Kid cackled, eyes widening with madness, voice hollowed and malicious. Sapnap did not stop screaming. No matter what Kid said, the pain continued to be more than he could bear. "Stop screaming, Sapnap. You're meant to be one of the strongest in the Falconier royal guard."

"Kid, I think that may be a bit too much," Ellis's voice came from behind them, her hand quickly finding their shoulder. They turned towards her, eyes insanity-filled and angered by her attempt at interference. She instantly flung her hand away from them, fear overcoming her quickly.

Kid turned back to Sapnap, whose screams had now become hoarse and slightly quieter. "You'll regret calling me sick, Sapnap." They raised their other hand to attempt to strike Sapnap, harming him worse, and stopped inches from his face. Instantly, their hand was moved from the space between bone and flesh, now realizing his skin had been ripped open to reveal what lay beneath.

"No," they muttered under their breath, leaning against Sapnap fully, so their mouth was nearer to his ear. "No, you don't deserve that. That's not enough for you, you lying scum." They smiled and pulled away from him, turning back to Ellis. "Ellis, I'd assume you'd wish to leave for this. You won't want to see this."

"What?" She asked quietly, raising an eyebrow. "What're you gonna do, Kid?"

"Oh," they smiled, near their maddened state yet again. "You know..."

"No," she responded instantly, narrowing her eyes. "He's done nothing wrong to us. Sure, he lied to us about his name, but that doesn't matter! He may have been afraid, seeing the entire kingdom destroyed and no one was around besides us? If I were him, I'd have been scared, too!"

"Leave," Kid repeated, ignoring the rest of her rant. "If I have to say it again, I'll do it to you, too." Her eyes widened again, terrified. She took a few quick steps backwards, pressing her lips firmly together. Slowly, she bowed, then left with a prolonged stare at Sapnap.

The door slammed, and Sapnap flinched at the noise and looked back at his captor again. He flung his hands out in front of him, trying to fend off any possible attacks. Kid blinked down at him and sighed, pulling their mask back on over their face.

"Sapnap, I'm not going to hurt you again," they stated, rolling their eyes under the yellow. Sapnap scrambled upwards and grimaced, falling back down. "If I'd wanted to continue harming you, I would've pulled your clavicle straight from your frail body. Speaking of which, would you like for me to get someone to fix that for you?"

"Why are you being— being so kind now?!" Sapnap demanded, staring up at them in fear still. His shirt was stained with blood, as were the mad man before him's gloves. "Even after you tried to rip me apart?"

"I did it to prove I was strong—that I wouldn't take your stupid lies anymore. I went too far, I know it," they admitted, rubbing their wrist. "God, where's my marker?" They turned away from Sapnap and began rummaging through a drawer, searching desperately for a black marker.

"What do you—" Kid grabbed the marker and pulled up their sleeve, revealing many scars along the flesh. They all seemed moderately old, but a few still were bloodied. "What...?" They just slid the marker across their wrist and then capped it, putting it in their pocket.

"Sorry, I tend to do that often," they smiled at him.

"Not many of those marks were because of a marker, huh?" He inquired, staring at their now-covered arm. "Barely any are, right?"

"I have no clue what you mean," Kid replies, wringing their hands nervously. "All of them were 'cause of markers, Sapnap. I use the markers when I mess up. They are proof of my mistakes." Sapnap pushed himself up on the wall and nearly collapsed forward before being caught by Kid.

He pulled up their sleeve and held them to him with his other hand. "I dunno, Kid," he mumbled, running his fingers along the scars. "Marker doesn't usually bump up on the skin like this." Kid stayed silent, letting him run his fingers along their scarred arms. They were practically afraid to move, thinking he might rip them open.

"Who hurt you, Kid?" He asked softly.

"A lot of people; mainly myself."

"Why?"

"To show that I can do wrong. I do a lot wrong..."

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔